Dynamic Drop Down Box Show Current

Ell20

Hi,

I have a dynamic drop down box which lists the names of users from the database to select from then once selected it posts the user_id of the user into the database.

However when I then edit this value I would like the drop down box to display the current value that is stored in the database, how would I go about doing this?

Here is my current code:

<select name="officer"><option value="">Select Officer:</option>	
<?php
$sql = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE club_id = '$id' AND member_type != 'Guest'"; 
$result = mysql_query($sql);
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)){
$user_id = $row["user_id"];
$first_name = $row['first_name'];
$last_name = $row['last_name'];
$name = "$first_name $last_name";
?>	
<option value="<?php echo $user_id ?>"><?php echo $name ?></option>
<?php } ?>
</select>

Thanks for your help

you have to store the user_id that you put into the database into a separate variable, call it $usr_select or something and then:

if($usr_select == $user_id) {   ?>
         <option value="<?php echo $user_id ?>" SELECTED ><?php echo $name ?></option>
     <?php } else {    ?>
         <option value="<?php echo $user_id ?>"><?php echo $name ?></option>
      <?php  }

so once you post the original selection and store it into the user_select variable, you just re-create the select list, adding the "SELECTED" option if the originally stored variable matches one of the user id's in the array - which puts it at the top of the list in the drop down box. Let me know if this does not make sense!

- dhappy

I get what your saying but at the moment the SQL statement just pulls out all the names that are avaliable, so do I need another SQL statement to get the current value from which I then create the new variable??

Cheers

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.