A tricky select question

docmattman

Here's the basic scenerio.  I have a table of items.  This table has several fields that refer to other tables values (I use table JOINs for this).  Let's say I have the following:

Table: items

-------------------------

id    title    type_id    brand_id    dept_id

1    "Item 1"    1    1    2

2    "Item 2"    2    1    1

3    "Item 3"    1    3    1

Table: lists

id    list_id    list_title    list_item_key    list_item_val

1    1    "Brand List: Type 1"    0    "Sony"

2    1    "Brand List: Type 1"    1    "Philips"

3    1    "Brand List: Type 1"    2    "LG"

4    1    "Brand List: Type 1"    3    "Samsung"

5    2    "Brand List: Type 2"    0    "Old Navy"

6    2    "Brand List: Type 2"    1    "Abercrombie"

7    2    "Brand List: Type 2"    2    "Hanes"

8    2    "Brand List: Type 2"    3    "Armani"

9    3    "Depatment"    0    "Clothing"

10    3    "Department"    1    "Electronics"

11    3    "Department"    2    "Houseware"

Now I want to select the "list_item_val" value from the "lists" table for items.  But this value is dependent on the "type_id" of the item in the "items" table.  So I have something like this.  So if I wanted the brand for "Item 1" I would need to pull it from the items in the "lists" table that have a "list_id" of 1.  If I wanted the brand for "Item 2" I would need to pull it from the items in the "lists" table that have a "list_id" of 2.  In the "items" table above, the deparment will always be pulled for items of "list_id" 3.  My problem is creating a query that gets data (JOINed) from both tables, when the brand is dependent on the "type_id" of the item.  Here is what I have so far:

SELECT items.id, items.title, tmpTbl1.list_item_val AS brandName, tmpTbl2.list_item_val AS deptName

FROM items

LEFT JOIN lists AS tmpTbl1 ON items.brand_id=tmpTbl1.list_item_key

LEFT JOIN lists AS tmpTbl2 ON items.dept_id=tmpTbl2.list_item_key

As you can see, the query above doesn't make any checks for the "type_id" value when getting the "brandName".  This is the part I need to fill in to make it work.  I do know the relationship between the "type_id" and the "list_id" for the brands.  They go like this:

type_id    =>    list_id

1    =>    1

2    =>    2

3    =>    6

4    =>    11

Can someone help me complete the query about to get the results I'm looking for?

It took me a while, but I seem to have gotten the hang of your post.

Ok... you really should be asking instead is how you can change that database design. Because, my friend, it is flawed :)

Unless you have a really good reason to do things that way - hard to convince me, I must tell you -  you should instead design your database by taking full advantage of the fact it is being done on a relational DBMS.

So...

You need a table for Departments and a table for Brands.

Table Items: ID, title, brandID, depID

Table Departments: ID, depName

Table Brands: ID, brandName

You create the relationships with the help of foreign key constraints. For instance:

ALTER TABLE `Items`
  ADD CONSTRAINT `items_depfk_id`
  FOREIGN KEY (`depID`)
    REFERENCES `Departaments`(`ID`)
    ON DELETE RESTRICT
    ON UPDATE CASCADE;

And you do the same for brandID.

Now it becomes much easier (and quicker) to do your joins and get the relevant data

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.