Users

---------------

int user_id

decimal (13,2) cash

Values

---------------

int owner_id

decimal (8,2) value

What I would like to do is update Users.cash to equal User.cash + Values.value where Values.owner_id=Users.user_id.

Currently I have "UPDATE users,values SET users.cash=users.cash+values.value WHERE users.user_id=values.owner_id"

For example:

In Users we have 1 row with the following:

Users

---------------

row 1 - user_id 1234 | cash 100.00

In Values we have 3 rows with the following:

Values

---------------

row 1 - owner_id 1234 value 20.00

row 2 - owner_id 1234 value 10.00

row 3 - owner_id 4321 value 40.00

I would like my statement to update row 1 in Users to cash=130 or Users.row1.cash + Values.row1.value + Values.row2.value.

My current statement only appears to find one row in Values. What am I doing wrong?

I'm unsure why that query wasn't working either but I had an epiphany and though to try this:

UPDATE users SET cash=cash+(SELECT SUM(value) FROM values WHERE values.owner_id=users.user_id)

It worked perfectly! Just in case anyone else has a similar problem...

I take that back actually. My query is still:

UPDATE users SET cash=cash+(SELECT SUM(value) FROM values WHERE values.owner_id=users.user_id)

The strange thing is, if the second query of (SELECT SUM(value) FROM values WHERE values.owner_id=users.user_id) evaluates to greater than 0, the query works exactly as needed. When it evaluates to 0 though, it sets cash to 0 regardless of what cash was before. It would seem obvious that since I have cash=cash+ the second query, cash would remain the same if the second query resulted in 0. Any ideas on this one?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.