Tally the SUM of a column of a table ...

xProteuSx

I am trying to figure out how to tally the column in a table.  I have a table, and for each user there is a value in the 'PagesViewed' column.  I would like to add up the page views of all the users in the database.  How do I go about doing this?  If I use a 'FOR' loop this would take a lot of calculation.  Is there an easier way?  Thanks in advance.

Yeap, pocobueno is right:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM table";
$result = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());

$sql_total = "SELECT SUM(PagesViewed) AS total FROM table";
$result_total = mysql_query($sql_total) or die(mysql_error());
$row_total = mysql_fetch_object($result_total);

while($row = mysql_fetch_object($result)) {
   echo $row->title;
}

echo $row_total->total;

Thanks for your input guys.  Northern Flame, I was looking to do something without a loop.  It figured that there would be a function which would tally a column.  God knows it would be a function used often.  So what pocobueno1388 was saying was along the lines of what I expected.  I have done the following, pocobueno:

$tallypageviews = mysql_query("SELECT SUM(users_pagesviewed) as total FROM users");
echo 'Pages Viewed By All Members: ';
echo $tallypageviews;  

However, the output is:

Pages Viewed By All Members: Resource id #14

I'm trying to figure this one out, but help would be appreciated.

Thank you guys.  I got it to work.  Consider this topic SOLVED.

However, if you have a minute ...

Why is the 'total' alias needed?  (as in 'SELECT SUM(users_pagesviewed) as total FROM users').

Why can't it just be 'SELECT SUM(users_pagesviewed) FROM users'??

Just trying to learn the reasoning ... thanks again.

Something is needed to store the value in, so thats why the alias is there. Otherwise, what would you use to output the result? If you used $row['users_pageviewd'] it wouldn't make sense, because you didn't select that row from the database in the query.

Thats the best I can explain it...hopefully it makes sense :P

Yeah you just need to alias aggregate functions such as SUM in sql, just how it is. There is one way around it though:

$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);
echo $row[0];

But I don't recommend using this because the index position doesn't tell you column names, and makes the code harder to read.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.