Background-Image Buttons/Links with Large Offset

Edgewalker81

Lately I've discovered the technique of creating pretty looking buttons and links by using fixed dimensions with nice background images and giving the elements some enormous (-9999) text-indent to hide the text that keeps the box itself visible.

I've noticed this method used in many places, but it seems a bit like a band-aid solution.  Is there a better way to achieve this effect?  I don't like to feel like I'm working around the standards instead of working with them.

Yeah there is a "better" way. Using text-indent to put the text off-screen means that is someone is visiting the site with images turned off, they cannot see any text! If you're prepared to introduce a non-semantic element then there is an image replacement technique that is completely accessible because it places the image over the text:

<h2>Hello world<span></span></h2>

h2 {position:relative; height:50px; width:200px; overflow:hidden;}
h2 span {position:absolute; top:0; left:0; width:100%; height:100%; background:url() no-repeat 0 0;}

The span element gets pulled over the containing element and given a background image. If you need to do this for a link, then make sure the anchor is displayed as a block and that {cursor:pointer;} is added to the span declarations. This technique is widely used and considered the most accessible. Has many advantages and the non-semantic element is not exactly a deal breaker.

Depending on what browser support you require, you might also want to check out "Bob Image Replacement" - http://neal.venditto.org/articles/12/bir - when the website is back up. It uses z-index and relies on more semantic html.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.