Helpometer or reputation points

This may have already been suggested, i cannot find anything in search so ill continue :)

I have seen some other websites similar to these forums where developers help less developed programmers in their spare time, and i noticed a "Rep" system whereby anyone can "+rep" someone, giving them points.

These seems like an interesting idea and would promote "Competitive" responses, which i think would be beneficial as people would get faster and more detailed responses in hope of more rep.

My idea on implementing this would be to have only the Topic Starter, able to "+rep" someone by clicking a link/button/icon somewhere in a post box - that has been posted in this topic by the person the topic starter wishes to rep.

There would however need to be security and anti rep spamming, like 1 rep per reply per replyer. Then maybe 3 points to give out.

You could link it to the "Topic Solved" mod you have already introduced (nice work btw), by clicking topic solved you could go to a new page or show some sort of table where the user can choose where he puts his points (better posts = more points). This way you could mark the thread solved and add reputation points to helpful programmers at the same time.

---------

Thanks for reading,

PS: I'm not sure how this would affect how people would post though, one thing i have thought - people might stop posting at all because they get no rep. though tbh it would more likely be people with less rep showing up the people with loadsa rep (sorta like the amount of posts already logged). Also this may make new posters who mean to help but dont, might get put-off by not getting rep or something.

Also i know posts made count in each post box but this would be different as it would complement the useful posters ( i will admit some of my posts were quite useless :P)

Ultimately - you can take this as far as you want if you wish to implement this would statistics on most helpful posters etc etc.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.