Need help returning a value from a foreach loop

eldan88

Hey Guys.  I have a custom function that simply loops through an  array and outputs the menu categories  it finds in the array.

The foreach loop passes the function an array and the function returns the the value. The problem is that the function returns that last value.

Now I know some of you might say ... "Why don't you put the foreach inside the function and return the value when the foreach loop has been completed"

The reason why is because I to use that foreach loop through  another function as well. I was thinking about using globals to get the return value. But just wanted to get your perspective on the best option here.

Please let me know what you guys think Thanks

User Defined Function

function displayMenuCategories($menu_category){
        $display_menu ="";
        $category_id =  $menu_category['menu_cat_id'];
        $display_menu .=   "<div class='menu_cat'>{$menu_category['menu_cat_name']}</div><br>\n";
        if(!empty($menu_category['menu_cat_desc'])) {
        $display_menu .= "<div class='menu_desc'>{$menu_category['menu_cat_desc']}</div>\n";
        }

$category_info = array("display" => $display_menu, "category_id" => $category_id );

return $category_info;
}

Foreach loop

$left_menu_categories // Is the array that contains all the menu categories 

foreach($left_menu_categories as $left_menu_category){

$get_categories =  displayMenuCategories($left_menu_category);

}
var_dump($get_categories);
Edited by eldan88

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.