row COUNT issue (beginner question)

Sigg
Go to solution Solved by Sigg,

My table has 250 rows, but COUNT only seems to see 162 of them.  In phpMyAdmin, for instance, there is a notice in the browse tab: "Showing rows 0-161 (162 total, Query took 0.0030 sec)".  On one of my php pages, I get the same 162 result from this attempt to count the number of entries to my auto-incrementing "id" column :

$result = mysql_query('SELECT COUNT(id) AS id_count FROM MyTable)';

Can anyone suggest the kinds of things I should check/adjust to understand why about 90 rows are not being counted?  Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

make sure the database server, database, and table are the correct ones.

some possibilities -

1) you have multiple database servers and you are connecting to the wrong one.

2) you have multiple databases and you are selecting the wrong one. note: on case-sensitive operating systems, the database name is case sensitive, so Database_name and database_name would refer to two different databases.

3) same as for #2, but with respect to the table name, including the note about case-sensitivity of the table name.

how do you know you have a table with 250 rows? perhaps some rows didn't get imported/inserted? perhaps some rows got deleted?

Table and database name are all working correctly, but when I browse the table in phpMyAdmin, I can see the 250 rows that I have entered already, but I have a sense that some were either originally entered or imported incorrectly. 

The data _looks_ ok now, but I wonder if there is some way I can diagnose the error. 

Do any of your columns contain null values - these are ignored by aggregation functions eg

mysql> SELECT * FROM contact;
+----+-------------+-------------+-------------+
| id | name        | email       | phone       |
|  1 | aaaaaaaaa   | aaa@xyz.com | 12345674321 |
|  2 | bbbbbbbb    | b@abc.co.uk | NULL        |
|  3 | cccccccc    | ccc@zzz.com | 01214567890 |
|  4 | dddddd      | dd@dd.com   | NULL        |
|  5 | eeeeeeeeeee | eee@efg.com | NULL        |
|  6 | kkkkkkkkk   | kkk@aaa.com | NULL        |
|  7 | mmmm        | m@mmm.co.uk | NULL        |
7 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM contact;
+----------+
| COUNT(*) |
+----------+
|        7 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> SELECT COUNT(phone) FROM contact;
+--------------+
| COUNT(phone) |
+--------------+
|            2 |
+--------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)
  • Like 1

Do any of your columns contain null values - these are ignored by aggregation functions eg ...

I don't see any null values - and the column I am trying to count (my primary, auto-incrementing column - "id"), is set to non-null.  All of the other columns are set to NULL if there isn't a value, and they all appear to be filled-in correctly.  However,  I had attempted to import a .csv a week ago, and it didn't go well- I had to make adjustments. 

Everything is adjusted, and everything looks ok, but it's still giving an incorrect count.

I tried to change the "COUNT(id)" to "COUNT(*)", and it is still giving the same 162 total.  Thank you for your help!

Edited by Sigg

what do you get if you change the query to:

$result = mysql_query('SELECT COUNT(*) AS id_count FROM MyTable)';

What is the database storage type? (e.g. InnoDB or MyISAM)

Not sure what happened in my previous post. 

Changing the query to COUNT(*)  gives the same 162 count.  The storage-type is MyISAM.

Edited by Sigg

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.