Re-ordering rows and adjusting orderid

Kinger1613

Hi everyone. I'm putting together a client list for my company and I need to be able to move clients around from day to day and also change the order they are listed. My only problem is I can't figure out a way to adjust the orderid once moving them.

My database is set up something like this:

id | orderid | driverid | day | name | email

1        1            1        Mon     -          -

2        3            1        Tue     -          -

3        2            2        Wed     -          -

4        4            1        Mon     -          -

I need to be able to edit a rows orderid, lets say from 5 to 3 and re-order everyone so that there are no orderid duplicates and no gaps. I was thinking I need to submit the form with the changed orderid and if the new orderid is different from the old orderid, a query will select and add 1 to the rows with an orderid greater than the new one submitted and only for clients on that drivers day. Once that is done a new query will re-adjust all the orderid's again and re-order them so there are no gaps.

Am I on the right track here? How would I write this code out? I feel as if im doing it all wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

if ($orderid1 != $orderid2) {

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM clients WHERE driverid = '$driverid' and day = '$day'") or die (mysql_error());
  while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)){

$neworderid = $row['orderid'] + 1;
    mysql_query("UPDATE clients SET 
      orderid = '$neworderid',
    WHERE orderid > '$orderid2' and clientid = '$row[clientid]'");

}

}
Edited by Kinger1613

As kicken stated, update each a new order in the database upon doing the submit

Query all your users and their orders

Change the selected users order to an insane high number would never use

Sort the new array by lowest order and update them all with an update set query but using the order ranges you want.

My first impression looking at this was to use a timestamp/date based system.

Update the timestamp to the current timestamp the selected user.

The biggest difference in time the database compared to the current time would be lowest order.

Edited by QuickOldCar

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.