Save As Button

Butterbean

I have a button that brings up my systems printer....

<button onClick="window.print()">Print this page</button> 

I'm trying to find a way to do the same thing but giving me the ability to save-as to my CPU.  What would be nice is if I could have separate buttons to save-as a PDF and one for CSV.  Each would automatically save to a file, with a comfirmation that its saved. The location would be coded in PHP for the desired format, and all the user has to do is click the button and it is placed in the appropriate folded.  is this possible and easy to do across ie, firefox and chrome?  Thanks for any direction.

Edited by Butterbean

Are these PDF and CSV files something that already exist on the server, or would they have to be created on the fly when someone presses one of the buttons?

If they're already existing, just provide links and style them to look like a button or whatever you want:

<a href="/path/to/the/file.pdf">PDF</a>

If they don't exist, its a bit more complex as the link would be going to a php page or something, which generates the PDF and then sends it to the browser.

They would have to be created on the fly.  The page where I'm including the buttons is in html.  The one I'm mostly concerned with is the CSV file.  I need to find a way where every time an html invoice is created, a NACHA certified file is created as a CSV file, then emailed to the customer.   I think I can get started on this but its gonna be rocky. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.