PHP Mail() not recieving by MSN

oconkero

Then I guess I will have the same problem if I try to add my shared SMTP server to SNDS Network.

I built a website using ASP.Net a year ago. I used my own SMTP Server and didn't use what my shared hosting had. My SMTP server was sbcglobal.net, so basically I don't need to add it to SNDS Network. It also can reach Hotmail users, yahoo, and everybody. However, my SMTP server only allows me to send up to somewhere around 200 emails a day. This is not effective when I have customers database more than 200. If an email is sent out to more than 200 customers, an error message will occur and the email will not be sent. Very not effective but that's all it can do.

in my opinion

'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();

is the most essential line. it helps to bypass filters in most email providers. also, in my experience it helps if you give a real email addresses under the headers, not just variables; think of it as if you are talking to a person. the more in-depth and honest you are the more likely the email will go throughh. at the same time, try not to send html mails:P.

theres more but i just got up lol and i gotta go look for a job so i gotta fly

peace homies,

HoTDaWg

in my opinion

'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();

is the most essential line. it helps to bypass filters in most email providers. also, in my experience it helps if you give a real email addresses under the headers, not just variables; think of it as if you are talking to a person. the more in-depth and honest you are the more likely the email will go throughh. at the same time, try not to send html mails:P.

theres more but i just got up lol and i gotta go look for a job so i gotta fly

peace homies,

HoTDaWg

Yes, I thought 'X-Mailer: PHP/'. phpversion(); was the most important too.

I tried like what you have suggested, but it still won't send to my hotmail.

Thanks for your help and time though!

Hi shaunrigby,

no, not yet, I haven't tried yet. But I some good news that I thought I would let you know.

There is a thread in this forum, I think you posted there before:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,130975.0.html

This guy has a problem with his email form. Everytime he sends the email, the email is blank. But, when I asked him if the email goes thru to Hotmail account, he said the email goes thru to hotmail. I am asking him to send me the code so I can take a look what's wrong with the form, and also see how he does his form so it goes thru hotmail account.

There is also another guy I found from this forum. He is creating a simple mailer software. I think he has a willing to help people. So, I contact him to see if he can help with this issue. We'll see what happens.

Thanks.

UPDATE

This is soo weirdd...

I successfully sent an email to Hotmail account using below code:

$to = "youraccount@hotmail.com";

$subject = "Results from your Request Info form";

$headers = "this is the header";

$date = date ("l, F jS, Y");

$time = date ("h:i A");

$msg = "Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted on $date at $time.\n\n";

mail($to, $subject, $msg, $headers);

It works perfectly. The email was sent to hotmail account in Bulk mail.

However, if you change the wording of the subject or delete the $date and $time variable in the message, the email will not be sent.

I assume that Hotmail server has somekind of robot to read subject and message and from the reading of subject and message, the robot will determine whether it is spam or not. that sophisicated??

UPDATE

This link will conclude this thread. The link is an article for developers that want to send emails to MSN Hotmail account. It tells you how to prevent MSN Hotmail from blocking the emails that you sent from SMTP Server.

http://postmaster.msn.com/

Thanks for everybody and thanks for reading.

ps: For the author, please mark it as a ANSWERED thread, I can't do this because I am not the author.

$mailheaders = "From: $domain\n";
$mailheaders .= "Your account has been created.\n";
$mailheaders .= "Please activate your account now by visiting this page:\n";
$mailheaders .= "$base_dir/activation.php?key=$key\n";
$mailheaders .= "\n";
$mailheaders .= "Username: $_POST[username]\n";
$mailheaders .= "Password: $_POST[password]\n";

$to = "$_POST[email]";
$subject = "Please activate your account";

mail($to, $subject, $mailheaders, "From: No Reply <$adminemail>\n");

thats the code im using but... it still no worky... i do have a semi working smtp imap email server, but i dont need it do i?... im using php mail function, so msg me if i need to config anything...

PS: using sendmail and squirrelmail, Thank you all

I think I know why this works:

$msg = "Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted on $date at $time.\n\n";

Its because it is from an hotmail address itself.

But ill try adding my smtp server to that hotmail list :D

Hi DeathStar!

The "TO" field is to send the email to a hotmail account. The problem we have is that php mail() can't send to hotmail account. So, the TO field is suppose to be a hotmail account.

There's no FROM field because it is auto-generated by SMTP server. If you put REPLY TO in your header, the FROM will be whatever in the REPLY TO.

I think I know why this works:

Its because it is from an hotmail address itself.

But ill try adding my smtp server to that hotmail list :D

Yes, I understand your point. However, MSN Hotmail's system to prevent spam is not just from their SNDS. It is very complex. As I said before, they somekind of robot to detect your subject, header, reply to, from and message  in your email. The robot will then determine whether your email is a spam or not. So, it is really a combination of subject, header of email and SNDS or whatever the robot in their subject.

That's what I thought.

But, for sure, adding your SMTP server to SNDS will absolutely help a lot.

iloveny, this is exactly what i have been trying to say throughout this whole thread...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.