[SOLVED] SOAP Alternatives

quiettech

Hello all,

I'm in need of providing real time currency exchange data from my website. In fact, not the whole shebang, but just back and forth between Euro and British pounds.

I've been thinking in doing this with SOAP using the NuSoap interface. However soap web services for this are incredibly expensive and the only free one I could find was at webservicex.net which is unbearably slow. I'm not familiar with SOAP, so I'm unsure if I'm looking in all the wrong places.

If I am, can you advise a free good service with an acceptable speed?

I'm I am not, can you advise an alternative to SOAP which provides free web services of this nature I can tap into?

Everyone bangs on about SOAP vs. REST - fact is no matter what you do you send a request in a given format and get a response in a given format - just find yourself a good reliable datasource and see what webservice they use and use that...

Curious, as I don't remember stating my general opinion on SOAP. Neither you answered my question.

Regardless, I wasn't thinking right. The wsdl I'm using right now is good enough. I don't need to make a soap request every time the user does a currency conversion; Accuracy is not critical and as such I'm changing the requirements.

The soap request will only be performed every 12 hours and the results along with the timestamp saved to a file. If it detects the last request was more than 12 hours ago, it performs a new soap request before displaying the results and updates the file. Otherwise it uses the current value.

Solved. And sorry for bothering you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.