[SOLVED] LEFT JOINS

esport

Hi guys, I have 2 tables 'tasks' and 'tasks_assigned_to'.

I want to display all the tasks in the 'tasks' table'.

easy

select * from tasks

however, when I join the 2 tables like

SELECT * FROM tasks t LEFT JOIN tasks_asigned_to ta ON t.ID=ta.task_id

It will only display the tasks that are in both tables. How do I display all tasks even if they aren't in the 'task_assigned_to' table.

Thanks

Daniel

A LEFT JOIN IS the answer to your question, as it will SELECT everything that is in the left-hand table and JOIN it to the right-hand table EVEN if there is no information pertaining to a JOIN in the right hand table. (tasks is left-hand table, and tasks_assigned_to is right-hand table).

A straight/inner JOIN will ONLY select data that corresponds in both tables.

I relised why it wont produce the results I want. I have a GROUP BY clause in the query grouping the taskid's in the task_assigned_to table so it wont produce duplicates. If so, how would I produce a result with all tasks without duplicates?

SELECT * FROM tasks t LEFT JOIN tasks_asigned_to ta ON t.ID=ta.task_id GROUP BY ta.task_id

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.