Can any one tel me how to read.doc file

anushka

I havent personally tried reading a .doc file, but I really suggest that you'll change the .doc to a .rtf, .txt, or other unformatted text file. The junkdata you are getting MIGHT be the .doc files other 'non relevant' information, such as formatting, columns, colors, indentation and so on.

If this didn't help, post a bit more information. Good luck!

this the code which i have written to read the file called abc.doc,But i am not able to read the content which is there in the file abc.doc

<?php

$fp = fopen("abc.doc", "rb");

$text = fread($fp,1024);

echo $text;

?>

can i convert .doc file to  .txt file internally through programing.

I suppose so, but not with a 'language' like PHP, that would require a 'lower-level' language. I'm not qualified to answer that question, but I'm sure it involves a good bit of knowledge.

If you can't read the contents of the .doc file I'd suggest looking for alternatives to reading it, or just trying to recreate it on a .txt file (if possible).

Either way, .doc is not an acceptable format.

That's good to know, anushka. Thanks.

I wonder if I can stir up any tutorials on converting .doc to .txt behind-the-scenes. If anyone can find one before me, please post it here.

It would be pretty useful to allow users to upload .doc's.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.