[SOLVED] Changing the time field after importing data

ksduded

I am using a time field and importing data through a csv with the time as HH:MM (24 hour format with 11:00 pm as 23:00). It imports in MYSQL database as HH:MM:SS.

I want to convert it to 12 hour AM PM format. E.g. displaying 23:00 from the csv file to 11:00 PM.

I tried this query

SELECT TIME_FORMAT('100:00:00', '%h %I');

but nothing happened. The data is under the field prog_time.

Do I need to enter that in the query as well?

plus i am looking to have a AM or PM function as well.. will I need to add %l in the end?

thanks in advance

I tried this query

plus i am looking to have a AM or PM function as well.. will I need to add %l in the end?

thanks in advance

I don't know what that means.

I tried this query

thanks in advance

I don't know what that means.

ok i will try to explain again.

I am using PhpMyadmin to control the MYSQL features. I have a database with a table. It has a prog_time field which has the type 'time'.

If I enter type in an input as 23:00, it is stored as 23:00:00. I want the time format to store it as 11:00 PM.

I entered in SQL

SELECT TIME_FORMAT('100:00:00','%h %I)

but nothing happened.

so my question is, how do I change the format of the prog_time field to show an input of 23:00 to 11:00  PM

thanks

If I enter type in an input as 23:00, it is stored as 23:00:00. I want the time format to store it as 11:00 PM.

so my question is, how do I change the format of the prog_time field to show an input of 23:00 to 11:00  PM

You DON'T change the format of the database field -- you format the field when you SELECT this column back.  Does that make sense?

ok, so basically when I output it through php, i will use the different formatting types

Sure, but what I'm saying is that TIME_FORMAT() allows you get back the desired format from the database.

if i want to show a 11:00 PM time format by taking a data 23:00:00 stored in the prog_time field, what php code will i require?

I have been trying a lot of different functions, but can't work it out.

thanks in advance

ok so i am using this query

SELECT TIME_FORMAT('prog_time', '%h %I %P');

and this is how i am using it in PHP

while($info = mysql_fetch_array($result))

{

if($info['prog_date'] == $selecteddate)

{

$programtime = $info['prog_time'];

$ptime = mysql_query("SELECT TIME_FORMAT('$programtime', '%h %i %P'");

echo .$ptime;

}

}

You can't echo $ptime like that... it's a result set!  You need to (a) run mysql_fetch_assoc() and get back each row and (b) alias the expression to be able to reference it more easily.  In principle, you can cheat with mysql_result(), but it's bad practice.

Also, I thought this was coming from data stored in the DB.

You can't echo $ptime like that... it's a result set! You need to (a) run mysql_fetch_assoc() and get back each row and (b) alias the expression to be able to reference it more easily. In principle, you can cheat with mysql_result(), but it's bad practice.

Also, I thought this was coming from data stored in the DB.

sorry for the noob questions, but I am trying to get hang of this.

The data is stored in a database. I have already extracted all the rows by using this query:

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * from tablehd");

I added a few lines to fetch the array (in bold), but I get the text Array after i run the code.

while($info = mysql_fetch_array($result)) 
{
if($info['prog_date'] == $selecteddate)
{ 
$programtime = $info['prog_time'];
$ptime = mysql_query("SELECT TIME_FORMAT('$programtime', '%h %i %P')");
$programtime1 = mysql_fetch_array($ptime);
echo $programtime1; 
}
}

OK... now I understand... no need for 2nd query!

Change your initial query to:

$result = mysql_query("SELECT *, TIME_FORMAT( prog_time, '%h %i %P') AS prog_time2 from tablehd");

And then you can retrieve the value with "$info['prog_time2']" -- anywhere inside that while() loop.

I'm also not sure what that if() is doing....

$result = mysql_query("SELECT *, TIME_FORMAT( prog_time, '%h %i %P') AS prog_time2 from tablehd");

And then you can retrieve the value with "$info['prog_time2']" -- anywhere inside that while() loop.

great that nearly worked. Everything seems to be working fine, but it shows P at the end of the time rather than the AM or PM.

I am using MYSQL version 5.0.27

great that nearly worked. Everything seems to be working fine, but it shows P at the end of the time rather than the AM or PM.

I am using MYSQL version 5.0.27

ok i just changed a capital 'P' to a small 'p' and it worked.

;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.