access issue on apache

associates

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out. I've got apache 2.0.55 and php 5.1.1 running on my mail-server machine. My problem is as follows

I need to be able to upload some documents on the web so that anyone in our company can access to and download those document when they are not in the office.

My initial thought was if i could upload the documents to the webserver with a link, then they can access to them through the link. For example: www.mycompany.com/storage

So when people click on the link, they will be prompted for their username and password before getting access. How do i do this? how do i make it secure so that username and password are intact?

I'm happy and open to listen if there are any alternative ways of achieving this.

Thank you in advance

Thank you Steve for your reply.

I think this is what i need. I have successfully got it loaded up on the web. However, i need to know how to create users. I know that there is a users.conf in the conf folder. At the moment, there is one entry in there which is the administrator.

I suppose my question here is how do i add new user with different permission level and different password.

"root","administrative root", "C:\apache\www\upload\pub", "hZ8Q","3daecb456..."

i suppose i can guess what the above items represent delimited by comma.

This is what i put in

"richardj","not sure", "C:\apache\www\upload\pub", "hZ8Q","not sure how to generate these hex number"

Please guide me on this. I have tried to look for any forums that i can get some help from but to no avail.

Thank you in advance

Hi,

I have finally been able to create users accounts. However, my next question is that how to get the upload to work. I have tried to upload a file by going to browse -> select a file (e.g. PDF) -> and click "Submit". Why is the file not being listed there? I then went to the folder of the user thinking i could find the file in it but no files are found in there. The user folder was empty.

Have i missed out some steps here?

Your help is greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance

All management/creation of users is done using the admin login.

Also, all access to files is done via the web front end.

Make sure you chmod 777 the apropriate folders. If you wanted, you chould just chmod -R 777 the upload folder to allow files to be uploaded.

(-R is recursive)

-steve

My machine actually runs on Windows XP Pro. so can't use chmod. However, i have gone to the upload folder that is under www/ as shown below

C:\Apache\www\upload - i have set the permission to full control for everybody and security with full control for all users

C:\Apache\www\upload\pub - permission (full control) and security (full control)

C:\Apache\www\upload\pub\filestorage - permission (full contrrol) and security (full control)

C:\Apache\www\uploadfiles - permission (full control) and security (full control)

But it still shows no files under filestorage folder after submitting a file through the web.

Any other ways? sorry for asking this question

really appreciate your time and help.

Thank you in advance

When uploading a file, does it give an error?

Can the user see the file on their website/login after uploading it?

I haven't used that upload on windows. You'll have to check your apache error log and see whats going on.

put the following lines in a htaccess file in c:\apache\www\upload\.htaccess

php_value max_execution_time 300

php_value upload_max_filesize 40M

php_value post_max_size 40M

-steve

No, it didn't give any errors at all. It was just that the file didn't appear on the "These files are in your folder" after clicking the submit button.

I checked the apache errors log file and found none are upload-related issues.

I have also added the following to the apache httpd.conf as instructed in the readme

<Directory />

php_value max_execution_time 300

php_value upload_max_filesize 40M

php_value post_max_size 40M

</Directory>

LimitRequestBody 40000000

I was unable to find htaccess file in c:\apache\www\upload\.htaccess as instructed by you. My question now is whether it actually works for Windows platform.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance

I was unable to find htaccess file in c:\apache\www\upload\.htaccess as instructed by you. My question now is whether it actually works for Windows platform.

Make that .htaccess file and put them 3 lines in it.

As for it working on the windows platform, it should, as long as it uses php file commands (as opposed to system() calls).

Anyways, if it still aint work, you'll have to go looking elsewhere. Use linux!

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.