dynamic pages sitemaps and google.

defeated

Hi, I've just added pagination to one of my pages. Should I create a dynamic list of every paginated page in my sitemap or will google find them all by the original url? 

If I create urls dynamically then how do I get around the first page problem.... ie. www.mysite.ie/jobs.php is the root page but will return exactly the same output as www.mysite.ie/jobs.php?page=1 thus creating duplicate content as far as google is concerned.

Google already hate me..... I think because of all the changes I've made so I could do with some pointers.

Cheers in advance.

Ian

Your sitemap should only point to /jobs.php and then hopefully the links will go from there for google.

However, the reason people use mod_rewrite to change it to a pretty URL (/jobs/1 for page 1, for example) is so they could then include each page in their sitemap so everyone indexes everything.

I'd have to double-check the sitemaps rules to confirm, but I'm pretty sure you are in the hands of the bot once it is on page 1 without any further changes.

A lot of my pages are dynamic.... each job.  I didn't use mod_rewrite for them. just plain old jobdetails.php?url=jobdetails&id=whatever the job reference no. is.  I have had problems with google thinking I have duplicate meta tags (title and description) because any page that does not have url=whatever after the ? reverts to the default title and description.  Adding in Url= was my way of changing the title for each page within an inluded header.  Maybe there is a better way but I don't know it.

SEO forum.... point taken.

I have just left the address in the sitemap as http://www.jackiebrownmedical.ie/jobs.php?url=jobs and I'll see what happens.  ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.