Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jpistone

session.bug_compat_42 or session.bug_compat_warn

My hosting company recently upgraded to PHP 4.4.2, and I'm now receiving the following message:

[b]Warning: Unknown(): Your script possibly relies on a session side-effect which existed until PHP 4.2.3. Please be advised that the session extension does not consider global variables as a source of data, unless register_globals is enabled. You can disable this functionality and this warning by setting session.bug_compat_42 or session.bug_compat_warn to off, respectively. in Unknown on line 0[/b]

I've fixed the code to make things work okay, but the message still appears only once at the start of a session, and only when the browser (Firefox's most recent release for XP and Mac OS X) is restarted. If I log out and destroy session variables, I get no message...only when I restart the browser and the php script starts a session. Is this just a general warning regarding deprecaded code or is it pointing to something in my code that it doesn't find compatible? Variables are registered appropriately (I think)....

[b]session_start();
$username = $HTTP_POST_VARS['username'];
session_register("username");
$HTTP_SESSION_VARS["username"] = $username;[/b]

Thanks in advance.

Don't use $HTTP_ xxx or session_register() which relies on register_globals being on.

Example:
[code]
session_start();
$username = isSet($_POST['username']) ? $_POST['username'] : '';
$_SESSION['username'] = $username;
[/code]

[a href=\"http://us2.php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.php#reserved.variables.session\" target=\"_blank\"]http://us2.php.net/manual/en/reserved.vari...riables.session[/a]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.