PHP session trouble

putty

I am having trouble keeping a session variable, I have a login script that when authenticated sets

$_SESSION['uid'] = $uid;
$_SESSION['password'] = $password;

I am using “php_value session.auto_start” set in my htaccess.dist file to automatically start my session for every page.

The problem is that the session value is not held if I navigate to another page $_SESSION['uid'] is empty.

Any suggestions why? Is this something to do with “php_value session.auto_start”?

Any help or suggestions of how to debut this problem would be much appreciated, my application goes live at the end of the week and I don’t think my users will appreciate having to type there username and password on every page.

PS. I am using AJAX to call my authentication script, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance,

Levi

I am having trouble keeping a session variable, I have a login script that when authenticated sets

$_SESSION['uid'] = $uid;
$_SESSION['password'] = $password;

I am using “php_value session.auto_start” set in my htaccess.dist file to automatically start my session for every page.

The problem is that the session value is not held if I navigate to another page $_SESSION['uid'] is empty.

Any suggestions why? Is this something to do with “php_value session.auto_start”?

Any help or suggestions of how to debut this problem would be much appreciated, my application goes live at the end of the week and I don’t think my users will appreciate having to type there username and password on every page.

PS. I am using AJAX to call my authentication script, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance,

Levi

Turn off the auto_start on sessions and just start the sessions yourself.  Auto-starting them creates unnecessary overhead on pages that don't require sessions.  And on the other page, the one that has no session vars, do this:

print_r ($_SESSION);

And tell us the output.

Ok the problem seems to be with “php_value session.auto_start” if I use session_start(); instead it seems to work, however I get a warning,

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /var/www/duguljambula/index.php:1) in /var/www/duguljambula/index.php on line 2

I can hide this warning with @session_start() and everything works.

I don’t understand what is causing this warning and it may cause problems down the road.

session_start(); is the first thing called in my script, before headers are sent.

<?php
     session_start();
     require_once('./config.php');

//Header
  	require_once(_ABSPATH . 'content/layout/header.php');

$PAGE = $_INPUT[2];
if(!$PAGE){
	$PAGE = 'index';
}

if(file_exists(_ABSPATH . 'content/pages/'. $PAGE . '.php')){
	include_once(_ABSPATH . 'content/pages/'. $PAGE . '.php');
}else{
	include_once(_ABSPATH . 'content/error/404.htm');
}

//footer
require_once(_ABSPATH . 'content/layout/footer.php');

?>

I am using RewriteEngine to pass every script via the index page. Eg, “www.mysite.com/map” will call index.php with the page variable ‘map’ however I still get the same warning if I call the script directly .eg, www.mysite.com/index.php?page=map

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Yes, the AJAX may be causing the trouble.

There was another guy that was having trouble setting a cookie from a PHP script that was called by AJAX. Have you tried accessing this script from a regular webbrowser instead of AJAX?

It doesn’t seem to make any difference it I authenticate using AJAX or just in the index script. Thanks for the suggestion.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.