mcerveni

Try changing the

<? } ?>

at the end to

<?php }
end;
?>

*edit

I can't quite remember, it might be $end; instead...

No!

Its not because mcerveni left of the 'end' keyword - there is no such thing in PHP.

It is because mcerveni's code uses short tags. mcerveni open your php.ini and enabled a setting called short_open_tag. By default PHP does not recognise tags such as <? ?> or <?= ?>.

Undo what lupld told your to do.

oh ok, well everythign works now..for now lol.

i guess php just got a little tighter with it's code.

i turned off display errors and everything is working.

thanks for everything.. i added u to msn , so if i need anything, i'll let you know ! i should be fine for awhile though.

have a good one.

oh ok, well everythign works now..for now lol.

i guess php just got a little tighter with it's code.

i turned off display errors and everything is working.

thanks for everything.. i added u to msn , so if i need anything, i'll let you know ! i should be fine for awhile though.

have a good one.

What! Just because your disabled display_errors and now no errors are being display means everything is working. Did you read my post?

I was thinking of die; , and I didn't realize that there was a setting for using <? } ?> in the php.ini, The only time I used them was a code with my site hosted by ace-host. I mostly use apache at home for a file server and don't really need short tags.

*edit

also, wildteen, you can come off as a jerk. I said I wasn't sure what the code was I was looking for and that he could try end; in the meantime. I assumed it was end; cause he had an "unexpected $end" at the end of the file and the } was present.

Its the tags that is causing the problem not the code within the tags. There is no end keyword! So I don't know why you keep suggesting it. The following error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in C:\Apache\htdocs\watchclockshop\include\menu.inc.php on line 38

Is caused by mismatching braces { } or ( ) within the code. Because mcerveni has short_open_tag disabled in the php.ini PHP is unable to see the closing brace in the following code:

<?
}
?>

Earlier you told mcerveni to change

<? } ?>

to

<?php
}
end;
?>

Which did fix the problem mcerveni was having. However it wasn't because you added end; after the closing brace. It's because you used the full PHP tags (<?php ?>).

I hate to open a dead topic, but my post

oh, and wildteen, I had him change it from <? } ?> (all one line) to

<?
}
end; //which appears to not cause any problems
?>

and wouldn't that change it from a to a short tag to a regular script?

was me agreeing with you and you had to act like an ass again. I was thinking of die; which stops the script from running from that point regardless if it's the end of the document or not. Just cause I haven't used php in a while doesn't mean I don't know what's wrong, I said I was uncertain about the end; thing.

I hate to open a dead topic, but my post

oh, and wildteen, I had him change it from <? } ?> (all one line) to

<?
}
end; //which appears to not cause any problems
?>

and wouldn't that change it from a to a short tag to a regular script?

was me agreeing with you and you had to act like an ass again. I was thinking of die; which stops the script from running from that point regardless if it's the end of the document or not. Just cause I haven't used php in a while doesn't mean I don't know what's wrong, I said I was uncertain about the end; thing.

In what way was I "acting like an ass"?

end; or die; has nothing to do with the error mcerveni was receiving. The error was caused due to the short_open_tag setting being disabled. Not all PHP installations are configured to read code within short tags (<? ?> or <?= ?>).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.