Help writing a MySQL query?...

ShootingBlanks

Hello.  I'm not very good with joins and things, so I was wondering if someone could help me (I'm still new at MySQL)...

Basically I have two tables.  One has a bunch of information in it, and the unique primary key is an auto-incremented column called "proj_id".

The second table has no unique ids.  It has three columns - "proj_id", "updated', and "progress".  The "proj_id" column will have values from the first table, but they can be repeated (so, for example, there would be only one "13" in the first table, but there could potentially be any number of "13"s in the second table).  The "updated" column in this second table is a timestamp column, so I guess that would actually be unique, since it's the current time the row is added...

What I need is a query that will get me everything from the first table, and then only the most recent "proj_id" entry (that whole row) for each ID from the first table that appears in the second table....

So, if the second table has three listings with a "proj_id" of "13", then I'd only want the row that had the most recent date in the "timestamp" column of that row...

I hope that made sense.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!...

Sorry if what you're about to read is super confusing, but here's what I have so far.  I'm getting the following error on it:

Not unique table/alias:

// 'WHERE' CODE FOR SQL IF USER IS SELECTED TO FILTER
$whereSQL = "WHERE projects.proj_id = proj_user_lookup.proj_id ";
$whereSQL .= "AND users.user_id = proj_user_lookup.user_id ";
if (isset($_GET['user_id']) && $_GET['user_id'] != "all") {
$whereSQL .= "AND users.user_id=".$_GET['user_id']." ";
}
if (isset($_GET['openClosed']) && $_GET['openClosed'] != "all") {
$whereSQL .= "AND projects.status='".$_GET['openClosed']."' ";
} else if (!isset($_GET['openClosed'])) {
$whereSQL .= "AND projects.status='Open' ";
}
$whereSQL .= "AND projects.due >= '$date1' AND projects.due <= '$date2' ";
$whereSQL .= "AND updated_progress.updated = (SELECT MAX(updated) FROM updated_progress WHERE updated_progress.proj_id = projects.proj_id)";

// START QUERY
mysql_select_db($database_ProjectBoard, $ProjectBoard);
$query_getData = "SELECT projects.proj_id, projects.proj_name, projects.sponsor,
			  projects.priority,projects.division, projects.due, projects.progress,
			  projects.status,users.last_name, users.user_id, proj_user_lookup.proj_id,
			  proj_user_lookup.user_id,
			  CONCAT(DATE_FORMAT(update_progress.updated, '%Y-%m-%d'),': ',update_progress.progress) AS progress2,
				DATE_FORMAT(update_progress.updated, '%Y-%m-%d') AS updated_date 
			  FROM projects, users, proj_user_lookup, update_progress 
				JOIN update_progress ON projects.proj_id = update_progress.proj_id "
			  .$whereSQL."
			  AND projects.proj_id = update_progress.proj_id 
			  ORDER BY ".$orderBy." ".$orderType;
$query_limit_getData = sprintf("%s LIMIT %d, %d", $query_getData, $startRow_getData, $maxRows_getData);
$getData = mysql_query($query_limit_getData, $ProjectBoard) or die(mysql_error());
$row_getData = mysql_fetch_assoc($getData);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.