[SOLVED] Updating a date with php and mysql?

lokie538

Hi,

I have a date that is shown in a text field on a form. Now im trying to update it, but im not sure how. In the text field on the form the date is shown in the format 2007/12/03 and to update it im just thinking that they can change the 2007 to 2008 or whatever. im using this script to update and the collum is in date format.

$query2 = "UPDATE studhpe1 SET Date_Enrolled= '{$_POST['date1']}' WHERE StudentID = '{$_POST['studentid']}'";
$result2 = mysqli_query($cxn,$query) or die ("Couldnt execute query.");

is there a way to update dates?? and how should I do it? I may have the whole wrong approach.

Thanks in advance,

Lokie538

is the msql date field actually set to be a date/time field? or just a plain text field?

if its a specific date/time field then yes you need to insert the date/time in the correct format. if its just plaint text then you can insert whatever date.

Whats the error you get?

The field is in the date format. not just a text field.

The date im trying to update is in the format y/m/d which is the format it is retreived as. When i use the code below all i get is "Couldnt execute query"

$query2 = "UPDATE table SET Date_Enrolled='" . $_POST[date1] . "' WHERE ID ='" . $_POST[tid] . "'";
$result2 = mysqli_query($cxn,$query2) or die ("Couldnt execute query2.");

Yeah i dunno why its not working, something to do with the wrong format?

so how do i change the format? lol

lol indeed. You can't change the format of a date field, it's yyyy-mm-dd and that's it.

I suspect what you really want to concentrate on is how to convert some text format of 'date' as entered by a user (which makes the date format beyond your control - bad idea) and display the database information for date in some preferred 'friendly/local' format.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.