php socket

dzedward

What would be a reason why a socket won't bind to my public IP, it will only bind to 127.0.0.1..  My actual IP is live and points to my domain.  I forwarded the port im listening on to my comp, and allowed it in my firewall.  I just don't get it.

That is normally the case. Two ways of fixing it. The hard and impractical method would be to setup a local dns server. The easier, and probably best solution would be to add an entry to your /etc/hosts file.

66.74.14.110 localhost

If your using windows you'll need to search for a file called hosts and edit that. I'm not a windows user so I'm not sure where it exists, but I know it does. This is the file that everyone had to use to resolv host names to ip addresses before the wan got so big we needed dns.

I added that to my hosts file, and am now able to ping it with no loss.  However, I'm still not able to bind or listen.  Here are the errors

unable to bind address [0]: The requested address is not valid in its context.

unable to listen on socket [0]: An invalid argument was supplied.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.