How the original file is replaced in my server?

sureshp

Hi ALL,

I have a bad situation now. I am running a CMS application in a website and the index file of the application is hacked by someone.

Is there any way to hack a file and replace with the new file in the server?

The file is having 777 permission since it will be updated updated by the admin on a timely basis.

Any ideas on how it is happened?

Thanks in advance!

HI Thorpe,

Thanks for your reply.

Is there a way to update a file without giving 777 permission. will 644 work?

Also, Can  you tell me your view on how the hacker did this hack?

Thanks,

Suresh P

These are some of the ways a file could be modified or replaced -

Your hosting account control panel username and password were guessed or otherwise obtained.

Your FTP account username and password were guessed or otherwise obtained.

The accounts on the web server don't have permissions set to limit access to the files by other accounts.

An administrator account on the server has had the username and password guessed or otherwise obtained.

Your CMS administrator username and password were guessed or otherwise obtained.

One or more of the scripts contains a security hole that allows replacing or changing a file, allows arbitrary php code injection, or allows an un-authenticate person to access the administrator functions. This could be an upload script, an include() statement that accepts a URL as the file to be include, a template system that uses eval() and allows php code to be saved to the template...

The web server logs should show the access that wrote to or replaced the file. Without more information from you about what occurred, we can only offer guesses as to how the file was changed.

Thanks for your guesses.

Im guessing that someone overwritten my file from their server by just following up the file path.

Is there any server related configurations to allow the hacker to write files from the external server?

Thanks!

the attached is the screenshot of the index page after the hacker overwritten my file.

I surfed about this through google and found that many websites are hacked by this guy or team.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.