MySql Connection Problems in PHP Scripts

What boggles me is I can log in with a user/pass through MySql Administrator yet with the same user pass I've tested on several php scripts I get,

#1045 - Access denied for user 'xxxxxxxx'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

including a fresh install of phpMyAdmin and my transferred Postnuke community from a different server.  I've made a couple of simple test query scripts to access the database but MySql won't let PHP login... or PHP is fuddeling up the login... any ideas?  I've tried creating new users with all privelages and can connect remotely with MySql Admin but local php connections won't go, just set up a new dedicated server and am new at doing this myself without the aid of WHM/Cpanel.  I got a gut feeling it's on the PHP end of things... but not sure

[code]

[/code]CentOS 5

PHP Version 5.1.6

MySql 5.0.22

Apache 2.2.3

php info () file says

Configure Command 	 './configure' '--build=i686-redhat-linux-gnu' '--host=i686-redhat-linux-gnu' '--target=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix=' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/usr/com' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--cache-file=../config.cache' '--with-libdir=lib' '--with-config-file-path=/etc' '--with-config-file-scan-dir=/etc/php.d' '--disable-debug' '--with-pic' '--disable-rpath' '--without-pear' '--with-bz2' '--with-curl' '--with-exec-dir=/usr/bin' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--with-png-dir=/usr' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--without-gdbm' '--with-gettext' '--with-gmp' '--with-iconv' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr' '--with-openssl' '--with-png' '--with-pspell' '--with-expat-dir=/usr' '--with-pcre-regex=/usr' '--with-zlib' '--with-layout=GNU' '--enable-exif' '--enable-ftp' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-sysvsem' '--enable-sysvshm' '--enable-sysvmsg' '--enable-track-vars' '--enable-trans-sid' '--enable-yp' '--enable-wddx' '--with-kerberos' '--enable-ucd-snmp-hack' '--with-unixODBC=shared,/usr' '--enable-memory-limit' '--enable-shmop' '--enable-calendar' '--enable-dbx' '--enable-dio' '--with-mime-magic=/etc/httpd/conf/magic' '--without-sqlite' '--with-libxml-dir=/usr' '--with-xml' '--with-apxs2=/usr/sbin/apxs' '--without-mysql' '--without-gd' '--without-odbc' '--disable-dom' '--disable-dba' '--without-unixODBC' '--disable-pdo' '--disable-xmlreader' '--disable-xmlwriter'

mysql
MySQL Support	enabled
Active Persistent Links 	0
Active Links 	0
Client API version 	5.0.22
MYSQL_MODULE_TYPE 	external
MYSQL_SOCKET 	/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
MYSQL_INCLUDE 	-I/usr/include/mysql
MYSQL_LIBS 	-L/usr/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient

Directive	Local Value	Master Value
mysql.allow_persistent	On	On
mysql.connect_timeout	60	60
mysql.default_host	no value	no value
mysql.default_password	no value	no value
mysql.default_port	no value	no value
mysql.default_socket	no value	no value
mysql.default_user	no value	no value
mysql.max_links	Unlimited	Unlimited
mysql.max_persistent	Unlimited	Unlimited
mysql.trace_mode	Off	Off

Does --without-mysql mean anything?

Does --without-mysql mean anything?

Of course. It meens exactly what it says. Your version of php is not compile with support for mysql. Support for mysql is no longer compiled into php by default because of licensing issues.

However, your error message contradicts this message. If your version of php truely doesn't support mysql you will get a call to undefined function when trying to call mysql_connect().

Can we see some code where you attempt to make a connection?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.