Select distinct field A if none of columb B =x - may inolve GROUP function

tendrousbeastie

Hi all,

Sorry for the stupid title, but I'm not sure how to summarise my question any more succinctly.

I am updating a database that stores linguistic translations, so it is set up to have a tabl that has a row per translation job, and then a separate table that stores a the separate languages for each job (as a particular file may go into several languages).

The table of the individual languages is where I am stuck. The three relevant fields for this question are:

ID            =                A numeric ID for the row (this is not referenced anywhere else at all, it is purely there to act as a primary ket)

JOB_ID    =              stores the INT value of the primary key of the main jobs table. This is how I can associate the various languages as being part of one job (i.e. they will all share the JOB_ID value)

WORD_COUNT  =    An INT, storing the number of words in the translated file.

What I want is a SELECT query that will return a DISTINCT set of JOB_IDs, where each returned JOB_ID has all of its WORD_COUNTS = NULL (or '' or 0,or whatever, but where they all equal some value).

A basic "SELECT job_id FROM table WHERE word_counr IS NULL" obviously return the job_id for each set where any word_count is null. How do I do it to return only those where all are NULL.

Ta for any help...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.