Probably a smiple syntax questions on $_POST array

rdrews

I have a list of variable that are "C" plus a number that are sent by a form using the POST method.  So, C0, C1, C2, C3, C4, .... It is NOT an array and the number of them created is dynamic so, obviously, I don't know how many there will be. 

My problem is this...I want to cycle through them using a while loop but I don't know what the syntax would be.

I have:

$i = 0

while(isset($_POST['$C$i'])){

...do whatever...

}

This is not working.  I have also tried while(isset($_POST["C"$i])) and probably a few other things.  I just can't figure out what to put in the POST brackets.  I am fairly new to PHP and like I said, I'm sure this is just something I am overlooking or there is probably a simple solution.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Ryan

You'll need to remove the single quotes around the $i variable

while(isset($_POST['C' .$i])){

or put the whole thing in double quotes -

while(isset($_POST["C$i"])){

Evaluating an isset() in a while() statement will be exceedingly slow. Using the suggested array method will solve two problems, you can use a simple foreach() loop and if these are something like a checkbox/radio-button, where if one is not checked and won't be set, your loop won't stop at the first unchecked box/radio-button.

Thanks to both of you for the quick responses.  Your help is appreciated but something is still just not working.  Here are the two files I am working with to give a clearer explanation. 

H

ere is my file1:

<?php

$gameDate = $_POST['gameDate'];

?>

<form name="form" method="post" action="file2.php">

<?php

$i = 0;

while(isset($gameDate[$i])){

?>

<p>Enter comments for the <?php echo $gameDate[$i]; ?> game:<br />

<textarea name="C<?php echo $i; ?>" COLS=40 ROWS=6></textarea></p>

<?php

$i = $i + 1;

}

?>

<p><input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit" /></p>

</form>

...all that is between the html and body tags. 

file2.php:

<?php

$i=0;

while(isset($_POST['C' .$i])){

$test[$i] = $_POST['C' .$i];

$i++;

}

echo $test[0];

echo $test[1];

echo $test[2];

?>

In file1, the "gameDate" is data sent over from another form.  For simplistic sake let's just say it just contains a number starting with 0 and ending wherever the user that submits the form sets.  So...that textarea will be generated however many times the user has set in the previous form with the "gameDate" variable. I need each textarea name to be unique (or any array) so that I can access them on file2.php.  I tried changing the name attribute for the textarea to "C[]" as suggested but could not get that to work either.  I also tried the other methods mentioned to run through the C0, C1, C2, ... and couldn't get anything to work.  Am I missing something here?  I would like the textarea data to be saved to an array but I don't know how to do that within the form.  Again, thanks for the quick responses.

The posted code works for me. When I set $_POST['gameDate'] to be an array with three values, it makes a form with three textareas and submits it and the echo $test[0]... code echos what I enter in the textareas.

File1 assumes that $_POST['gameDate']; is an array. Is that so? Have you looked at the "view source" of the file1 form to make sure it is correct?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.