Using mod_rewrite

I need to take a URL such as:

http://www.somesite.come/RANDOM_TEXT

and turn it into:

http://www.somesite.com/site?siteName=RANDOM_TEXT

Could someone show me how to do that?

I want to give the appearance of individual directories without all the hassle as one "Super Mod" pointed out to me.

(Thanks by the way)

Thanks!

--Elite

The example you gave would be:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine On

</IfModule>

RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z0-9]+)$ site?siteName=$1

RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z0-9]+)/$ site?siteName=$1

That'll take any alphanumeric value request in the directory that you put this .htaccess in (no underscores, but I could add it....) and send it to site?siteName="whatever".

Okay, when I click "Create New Directory" I enter .htaccess then I added

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
</IfModule>
RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z0-9_]+)$ site?siteName=$1
RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z0-9_]+)/$ site?siteName=$1

Then I click "Save File" and the file never appears. But when I name it something like htaccess.htaccess the file appears. But I keep getting a page not found error.

The .htaccess file is in my root directory in public HTML. So when I type an address like this: http://www.somesite.com/fun the Super Global $_get[] should recieve the siteName variable and recieve the value "fun" but I have a index.php file set up in the /site/ directory with

<?php

echo $_GET['site'];

?>

But I never get to the index.php, just a cheap error page.

It's NOT a directory, it's a file.  And it'll appear hidden if you use Linux because . in front of a filename means "hidden", but Apache REQUIRES it to be named .htaccess.  Now.  Just add a file ".htaccess" with that in it, and make sure you put the right page in....if it's index.php, use that....>_>

The mod_rewrite should be able to handle several pages at once.

Like I said, I want it to appear that they are in a separate directory. So users should be able to navigate through links and stuff without them ever seeing anything but their subdirectory.

You're going to need a hell of a lot of rewrite rules for that, unless you made a master page which took the GET from the mod_rewrite and included the page (your best bet, probably, but make sure it doesn't include anything sensitive).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.