One Table vs Two Tables

neoform

I'm making a messaging system that has the fields:

id INT(10)
posted_on DATETIME (INDEX)
user_id MEDIUMINT( (INDEX)
recipient_user_id MEDIUMINT( (INDEX)
body TEXT

I've been torn as to whether or not I should split the body field into a second table in order to speed things up. I ran some tests with SELECTs and found that using a single table is usually between 20% to 100% faster (depending on how many rows are being selected and if the body is included in the SELECT).

Where the single table is slower though, is on INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE, because of the reindexing of the DYNAMIC table (single table) vs the FIXED table (two table)..

So the question is, which is the better option, assuming I'm actually going to fill this table up with more than a million rows.

BTW, the tests I did were on tables with 300,000 rows packed with identical random data.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.