check if mail(); is sent?

just a quick quest, how do i check if an email is sent? this is my email code

$to      = $user_email;
$subject = 'Welcome,'$user_name;
$message = "Hello,$user_name<br> welcome to the Random Game Design Template System<br> Congratulations on succesfully creating your site. This email can be fully customised in the admin centre $homepage.";
$headers = 'From: RGD TS' . "\r\n" .
       'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

can i just add

if(mail()
{
//my code
}
else
{

}

A TRUE status returned by the mail() function only means it was able to talk to the mail server and the mail was accepted for delivery. After an email has been accepted for delivery, a lot of things could happen that could result in the mail not being sent.

yes indeed, however, IMHO, after the mail server has accepted the mail for delivery then the other problems are outside the coders control. so a quick and simple check to see whether the mail has been handed over successfully to the mail server is to check for a TRUE return statement from the function.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.