Wireless security - is using MAC address only safe?

benphp

I have an old wireless G router that has WEP security, and it occurred to me that if I don't use ANY security but allow only certain MAC addresses that the network would be secure - no?

Anyone have thoughts on this?

If I allow only one laptop's MAC address access to the wireless network, won't that effectively lock down the wireless network - even if I don't use WEP at all?

Using the MAC address will only control who can connect to your network.

By not using encryption, anyone close enough with a wireless adapter can monitor what is being sent back and forth between your computer and the router, for example your username, password, cookies when you log into or visit this forum or your email web interface, if we assume you get your email through a web interface that does not use the https protocol.

I have an old wireless G router that has WEP security, and it occurred to me that if I don't use ANY security but allow only certain MAC addresses that the network would be secure - no?

Anyone have thoughts on this?

If I allow only one laptop's MAC address access to the wireless network, won't that effectively lock down the wireless network - even if I don't use WEP at all?

Mac filtering is no means of protection from someone who really wants to get on your network.  Mac addresses can be easily spoofed.  Your best option is WPA2 encryption, or at least WPA.  If you only have a couple computers on your network you can add the mac filtering as another layer, but it is not reliable. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.