Which is the quietest Dell?

benphp

If you're worried about Dell trying to sell you a server with a price tag sporting more zeroes than the Japanese Navy in WW II, I think you're safe. I also think that if you're trying to get a quiet machine from Dell, you're only urinating into the wind. In my years of experience with all sorts of pre-assembled computers and home-made computers alike, I've seen consistency in one respect: A cheap fan and the average PSU from the local computer parts store (or Newegg) will be quieter than the ones that come with a Dell PC. At the other end of the spectrum, a set of nearly silent fans and a silent PSU will be relatively expensive, but they are literally impossible to get at Dell.

The case also has a lot to do with it. Most Dell cases are not designed for airflow efficiency, nor are they designed to make modifications easy. My bottom line: If you want a truly quiet machine, buy good parts and put it together yourself.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.