[SOLVED] VirtualHost woes

dustinnoe

I am having issues with VirtualHost.  I cannot seem to get ServerAlias to work properly.

Here are my settings:

<VirtualHost ipaddress>
ServerName www.dustinnoe.com
ServerAlias www.dustinnoe.com dustinnoe.com
DocumentRoot path/to/pages
</VirtualHost>

These settings will display the page when the url dustinnoe.com is used bt not when www.dustinnoe.com is used.  If I remove the ServerAlias all together it displays using www.dustinnoe.com

I'm not sure your alowed to have ServerAlias and ServerName set to the same thing.

<VirtualHost ipaddress>
  ServerName www.dustinnoe.com
  ServerAlias dustinnoe.com
  DocumentRoot path/to/pages
</VirtualHost>

Should suffice.

OK, I learned all about zone settings using BIND but I'm still in a bind.  It seems that when I transfered multiple hosting accounts into one VPS something went haywire.  The 'www' sub-domain does not work for any of those sites.  The zones settings are correct.  On the flip side,  all the sites I have setup since the transfer using WHM are working properly.  Is there another file in BIND that needs to be edited.

I'm learning a lot from this but it is a bit frustrating.

Once again I have solved it myself, although my hats off to thorpe for pointing me in right direction.  I believe writing things here helps me sort my thoughts and actions.

Anyway,  the nameservers were incorrect during the transfer.  I discovered this by comparing zone settings from transfered sites to the zones settings for newly created sites.  A quick update to the namesever and now I'm good to go. 

It only took me a night and a morning and I'm just a little smarter now.

• 2 weeks later...

this is i think similar to mine

I have 2 machines 1 server, 1 workstations and a DNS(www.sigenaulit.com) who is pointing to server 1.

machine 1  : www.walangalam.com

machine 2 IP: 192.168.0.2

using reverseproxy i have the www.walangalam.com/yw working with a (www.walangalam.com apache)config of:

ProxyPass /yw http://192.168.0.2/yw

ProxyPassReverse /yw http://192.168.0.2/yw

My problem now is how can I publish http://192.168.0.2/yw from www.sigenaulit.com?

I tried a lot of format in <VirtualHost> but it seems that i can't find threads to solve the problem.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.