[SOLVED] Looping through checkboxes and returning ALL of them

Firstly, here's my code:

form.php

<tr>
  <td align="center"><input type="text" name="name_{$id}" value="{$name}" /></td>
  <td align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="showcb[]" value="{$id}" {$checked} /></td>
</tr>

That is in a MYSQL loop that displays all of the entries from the database (I didn't include all the code because the error isnt in that script). The checkbox allows the user to set if they want that particular entry to be shown on the homepage.

The collector:

post.php

<?php
// Get the post vars
foreach ($_POST['showcb'] as $key => $val)
{
// All this is doing is grabbing the post vars
$id = $val;
$name = (strlen($_POST['name_'.$id]) > 0) ? addslashes($_POST['name_'.$id]) : "";
$show = (isset($key)) ? "1" : "0";
//

$sql = "UPDATE table SET t_show='{$show}', t_name='{$name}' WHERE t_id='{$id}'";

// This echo is for debugging
echo $sql." [ $key ] [ $val ] [ {$_POST['showcb'][1]} ]<br />";

mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
}
?>

Now, the script works, it updates the name and and "show" of the row.

But here is the problem.. it only updates the rows if the checkbox is checked! So in other words, I can't un-check a checkbox because it wont get ran in the foreach() loop.

PHP doesn't store the checkbox in the $_POST if it isn't checked.. .so how can i go about doing this?

Wes

You could pass along the number of rows returned on the form page and pass it to the post page

form.php

$rows = mysql_num_rows($result);
echo "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"rows\" value=\"$rows\" />";

<?php
$count = $_POST['rows'];
for($i=0; $i<$count; $i++){

$name = (strlen($_POST['name_'.$id]) > 0) ? addslashes($_POST['name_'.$id]) : "";
$show = (isset($_POST['showcb'][$i])) ? "1" : "0";
//

$sql = "UPDATE table SET t_show='{$show}', t_name='{$name}' WHERE t_id='{$id}'";

mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
}
?>

Ray

JavaScript is inappropriate for this kind of thing because the user may have it turned off.

The solution here, I think, is to change your code that renders the form.

<tr>
  <td align="center"><input type="text" name="rows[{$id}][name]" value="{$name}" /></td>
  <td align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="rows[{$id}][check]" value="{$id}" {$checked} /></td>
</tr>

Notice the subtle difference?  Now you can loop through $_POST['rows'] and each item will itself be an array with indexes name and check.

<?php

foreach( $_POST['rows'] as $id => $row ) {
  echo '<pre>' . print_r( $row, true ) . '</pre>';
}

?>

JavaScript is inappropriate for this kind of thing because the user may have it turned off.

<tr>
  <td align="center"><input type="text" name="rows[{$id}][name]" value="{$name}" /></td>
  <td align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="rows[{$id}][check]" value="{$id}" {$checked} /></td>
</tr>

Notice the subtle difference?  Now you can loop through $_POST['rows'] and each item will itself be an array with indexes name and check.

<?php

}

?>

Wow, nice :) I'll give it a try

<tr>
</tr>

<?php

}

?>

You're a freakin genious ;)

Works perfectly

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.