Refresh if the user hasn't clicked on an input field

I'm making this little chat room thing and I used

echo("<meta http-equiv=\"refresh\" content=\"7;url=http://www.mysite.com?body=chat\">");

to refresh every 7 seconds but sometimes you're trying to type when it refreshes...

Is there a way to check if the user has selected the field (<input type='text' name='chat' class=generic_black'>) before refreshing?

Yes, it could be done. My javsacript is a touch rusty, but i think it would require a bit of work.

As far as i'm aware, there's no simple way of checking if an element is in focus. Instead, you would have to set a variable to true using the onFocus event and then set it to false with onBlur.

You would then need to use the settimeout() function every 7 seconds to call another function which would check the above value and reload only when required.

My recommendation: switch to loading the chat content with AJAX. It'd be less resource intensive, and much nicer for the user. If you google for AJAX chat rooms im sure you'll find some examples to follow.

It think you have to make the page refresh a JavaScript function, that disables count if the user clicks on a field.

For example:

<input type="text" name="field" value="value" OnClick="stopTime('true');"

And the stop time function should have a counter that automatically runs UNLESS a it is called again with a set BOOLEAN

My JS is VERY VERY rusty so I won't write the function.

Hope it helps

Modification:

Using AJAX is probably better because it allows you to update specific parts of your webpage without refreshing,

But I only just started learning AJAX, so I really can't help further on that, sorry

the reason i said frames is because they are easy.. ajax would be better but its a larger learning curve..

with frames your have 3 files

main.html <-- main container loads next two

controls.php <-- controls to add text

chatview.php <-- this you have your metatag

<frameset rows="100px,*">
      <frame name="control" src="controls.php">
      <frame name="chat" src="chatview.php">
</frameset>

*untested

So you're saying I should just refresh a frame as opposed to the whole page?

It's a possibility, but I strongly suggest Learning AJAX to pull this off, refreshing frames is more annoying for the user browsing your page.

With ajax you can update information without refreshing you entire page using XML objects.

Granted it's not that easy to learn, but if you search there are some good video tutorials.

Hmm... I think I'll just use frames for now, I don't really understand how to show database entries with AJAX.

But with frames, apparently they cant be used inside body tags, but my site basically needs them so can you go:

<body>stuff</body>

<frame>chat</frame>

<body>stuff</body>

Does that work?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.