Is Cross-Browser support for display: table; possible?

Goldeneye

Is there a DOCTYPE which would allow display: table; properly in most (if not all) of the major browsers? Or is there any to make display: table; cross-browser-consistant at all?

I'm not new to CSS/HTML, I'm just far behind on the whole Web Standards thing.

You're probably wondering, "Why not just use tables for displaying tabular data?" Well I am using <table> right now, but I want to make it with DIVs for more possibility with creating different stylesheets.

A preemptive thanks to any answers.

You're probably wondering, "Why not just use tables for displaying tabular data?" Well I am using <table> right now, but I want to make it with DIVs for more possibility with creating different stylesheets.

A thoroughly bad idea. Using the <table> element to display tabular data is precisely the correct way to use it and obviously semantically correct since that's exactly its purpose. Using "divs" to display tabular data is almost as bad a practice as using tables to lay out pages.

Before you decide that tables can't easily be styled well, check -> http://icant.co.uk/csstablegallery/index.php

Well it's not that I can't style them. They're easy enough to style. It's just that if I want a different format of how the data is displayed, then I have to insert DIVs and treat them as containers. I should probably mention that this is aimed towards Forum Stylesheets.

Huh? Tabular data is tabular data. A table is the html element designed for tabular data - regardless of the purpose for displaying it. It's not clear to me quite what problem you're trying to work around.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.