Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

benwhitmore

Search results screwed

hi peeps

I have a very simple query that works fine:-

[code]

$query="SELECT id FROM stock WHERE category1 LIKE '%$search%' OR subcategory1 LIKE '%$search%'";
$query_res=mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());

[/code]

this works fine, the rest of the code returns values that matches my search criteria. If however, I add one more variable to my SELECT statement, PHP seems to ignore it. I want the SELECT statement to choose items where a field named "omit" has a value of "n":-

[code]

$query="SELECT id FROM stock WHERE omit='n' AND category1 LIKE '%$search%' OR subcategory1 LIKE '%$search%'";
$query_res=mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());

[/code]

I have items being returned where the value of "omit" = "y"

Have I used incorrect syntax in my SELECT statement?

any help will flatter my eyelids

Cheers

I would guess this is all down to the use of AND and OR.

I believe that, at present, your statement retrives rows where ethier (omit=n and category1 is like $search ) OR (subcategory1 is like $search)

I hope the use of brackets there shows you what i mean; if omit=yes but subcatgeory1 is like $search, then the result will still be returned. Im not 100% on the solution, i have a feeling you might be able to use brackets in some way with the where statement, but i also think if you added on an extra part to the statement like this:

$query="SELECT id FROM stock WHERE omit='n' AND category1 LIKE '%$search%' OR subcategory1 LIKE '%$search%' AND omit='n'";

It might work. Dont hold me to it though ;)

mate,

it took someone to look outside the box - you hit the nail on the head ole boy!!

OLD CODE:

[code]
"omit='n' AND category1 LIKE '%$search%' OR subcategory1 LIKE '%$search%'";
[/code]

NEW CODE:

[code]
"omit='n' AND category1 LIKE '%$search%' OR omit='n' AND subcategory1 LIKE '%$search%'";
[/code]

thanks again!!!!!

SOLVED

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.