Jobs With Php and MySql

munsiem

I was wondering if anyone on here has experience in working at a job that requires database development.  I just started college a few months ago, but I don't want to graduate green in two years!  If anyone could help me out by letting me know what most jobs (or the job you are familiar with) require, that would help me so much.  I just want to make sure that I can start learning the skills necessary to help me do well in the years to follow.

So far I have been learning Php, and MySql - but am fairly new to it.  I am not a beginner programner, but I am by no means a professional.  I am working on a few projects such as TexasBankFishing.com and my own portfolio at MikeMunsie.com, but I just want to make sure that on my spare time I am heading into the right direction.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to overflow me with what you know. 

Thanks a lot!

Lets see. My job requires me to be a linux administrator, broadband technician, DOCSIS knowledgeable, PHP/MySQL guru (got 'em fooled there), have knowledge in streaming media, handling customer issues (if they get elevated that high), public relations with the customers (mainly major companies) and the all-round ability to be a jack of all trades.  Most tech jobs require you to wear many hats.  Few decent-paying jobs have you doing just one thing.

Just what I needed to hear!  I was always told that the more you know, the more valuable you become for your company.  That's interesting that you have such a wide variety of tasks (technician, programmer, linux admin..).  I guess I need to get a head start huh?!  Thanks for your input, it really helps.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.