Is apache safe to install on my home computer

JamesThePanda

Installing Apache involves installing a service that "listens" to a specific TCP/IP port number onto your computer. In all the thousands of posts I have seen, no one that as had a problem with Apache has ever had a problem with it screwing up his system.

I use WAMP (Windows, Apache, Mysql, Php) myself. But I have heard good stuff about xampp. Anyways, it won't screw up your system. The only thing that would ever be bad would take a specific effort by you - namely you would have to forward port 80 in your router, and in doing so any pages you are serving on the apache server would be visible to the public. But port forwarding isn't something you can accidentally do. You have to make the effort to do it, and even then it can be quite difficult.

I use EasyPHP. I believe the latest version has PHP5 and the latest MySQL update. I wouldn't advise installing an earlier version of EasyPHP and then try upgrading to PHP5. I did it myself, and I found myself lucky to get it working but it seems like hard work for something so small (but then again this is PHP!).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.