[SOLVED] Stop External Post

jaymc

I have flash games that I did not make, after playing you click a link withing the flash game which POSTS your score to a php URL

This works fine, but obviously not very secure as idiots can POST externally to the php file and providing they know the parametres (which they will) can set any high score they want

My question is, how can I stop this

I remember a while back you can check the REFFERER, but thats not very accurate at all so probably not something I want to use

What other ways are there, and remember, I do not have the flash source so I am pretty much stuck with the parameter names that are posts to the PHP

You can try these workaround to know the param names sent by the post method, provided you know thw script to which they are posted.

For temporary purposes, rename that script file and create another php file of the same name, eg: recordScore.php. In that file insert the below code

<?php
print_r($_POST);
?>

It will spit out all the param names (and their values)

Yeh its really bugging me

Even a way to atleast stamp out the majority of cheaters

For example, create a unique key in the database that expires after 10 minutes or something. that key is only created when they load the game page

So, if they try and cheat after 10 minutes, it wont work

If they play the game, submit a VALID score, then try and post externally, there will be no key

But of course, the way around this is to load the game page and post externally straight away

Something like that, but not as easy to get around would be great

The ones who can get around it, I can probably deal with manually

You've already answered your own question then.  That's about as good as you can do:

1) Create a key when they load the page

2) Check the key when they submit the score and erase the key so they only get a single submittal.

This could break games depending on how the scores are submitted though.  If the flash game submits the score as soon as the game is over, then the key will be eaten by the game and the user would have to reload the page to play again.  This would break any 'Replay' buttons built into the game.  If the score is submitted by the user, then this is less of a problem.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.