forum making problem

Smackie

Greetings,

I been working on a forum. its almost complete.. but im having a problem (btw this forum is for only my site). I am calling all the categories out from a while loop and was wondering if someone could tell me how i can some of the categories were only selected members can view thie topics and stuff.?

here is the page..

<table width="100%" height="20" border="0" bgcolor="000033" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0">
  <tr>
    <th class="txt" width="80%">Forum</th>
    <th class="txt" width="10%">Topics</th>
    <th class="txt" width="10%">Post</th>
  </tr>
</table>
<?php
$get_category = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM category GROUP BY id") or die(mysql_error());
	while($row = mysql_fetch_array($get_category)) {
	?>
<table width="100%" height="20" border="0" bgcolor="00255d" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0">
  <tr>
    <th class="txt" width="60%" align="left"><B><U><font size="2"><?php echo $row['category']; ?></font></u></b></th>
  </tr>
</table>
<table width="100%"  border="1" bordercolor="CFC095"  bgcolor="000033" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0">
<?php 
$id = $_GET['id'];	
$get_topic = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM header WHERE catid=" . $row['id'] . " ORDER BY catid") or die(mysql_error());	
	while($topic_info = mysql_fetch_array($get_topic)) {
		$id = $topic_info['id'];
		$catid = $topic_info['catid'];
		$heading = stripslashes($topic_info['heading']);
		$description = $topic_info['description'];

$get_num_topics = mysql_query("SELECT catid FROM forum_question WHERE catid = $catid");
    $topics = mysql_num_rows($get_num_topics);

$get_num_posts = mysql_query("SELECT catid FROM forum_answer WHERE catid = $catid");
$posts = mysql_num_rows($get_num_posts);
?>
  <tr>
    <td class="txt" width="80%" align="left"><a href="../index.php?seashadows=topic&catid=<?php echo $catid; ?>&id=<?php echo $id; ?>"><?php echo $heading; ?></a><br /><?php echo $description; ?></td>
    <td class="txt" width="10%"><?php echo $topics; ?></td>
    <td class="txt" width="10%"><?php echo $posts; ?></td>
<?php

if($_SESSION['user_level'] == 5) {

?>
  <tr>
    <td class="txt" align="right" colspan="3"><a class="two" href="../index.php?seashadows=header_functions&id=<?php echo $id; ?>">Edit</a> | <a class="two" href="../index.php?seashadows=header_functions&action=delete1&id=<?php echo $id; ?>">Delete</a></td>
  </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="txt" align="right" colspan="3"><a href="../index.php?seashadows=add_heading"><strong>Create New Subject</strong></a></td>
  </tr>
  <?php
  }
  }
  }
  ?>
  </table> 

here is what the page looks like

http://seashadows.uni.cc/index.php?seashadows=forum

i need Promotion Review Board to only be shown to people who are selected.

Thank you,

Smackie

add a field on the member table to indicate whether that member can view the page. i usually use an unsigned tinyint. then store a 0 or 1 in there to indicate whether they can't (0) or can (1) view the page. when a member attempts to load a protected page, check whether their member record has a 0 or 1 in that field. if the member isn't supposed to have access to that page, display an error or use header() and exit.

i don't want the page to be hidden from members.. i just want one of the catagories hidden from the members except for the people i let be in there. i have user_level set 0-5 but that ain't what i need. but think you anywaysBlueSkyIS

just thought id point out you seem to be having some mysql errors :

ERROR LOG

oh yeah some security errors too :P

ADMIN Files

i know lets change your password....

Password change you need some better security mate

oh yeah you need some security on your forum also, check out this link you allow iframes so simply using a page that has frame breakouts will redirect users away from your site...

UH OH

oh yeah dont worry im not doing anything malicious jsut simple stuff that wont cause any problems to help you

just thought id point out you seem to be having some mysql errors :

ERROR LOG

oh yeah some security errors too :P

ADMIN Files

i know lets change your password....

Password change you need some better security mate

oh yeah you need some security on your forum also, check out this link you allow iframes so simply using a page that has frame breakouts will redirect users away from your site...

UH OH

oh yeah dont worry im not doing anything malicious jsut simple stuff that wont cause any problems to help you

first off seashadows.uni.cc is located on my hard drive its my testing area.. second off your only showing me the error log file i already new about which was caused from me changing something in the script and yeah. and change password im still working on that. like i said this is on my testing server. and another thing i don't use iframes i never have and never will.. i use tables.. and this site (when i say this site. i mean the real site) is only for people that play Dangerous Waters. but none of this is helping me solve my forum problem.

i see what you mean by iframes in forum yes i know about that working on bbcoding for it and once i get bbcoding on there it will deal away with the allowing html inputs. but im still looking on fixing the viewing files from each folder. but the forum im still working the access to it.. but i should have added this earlier but i was alittle hot from working outside getting everything cleaned up after the bad storm we had last night.. but thank you for the tips.. but can you give me a tip on how to get my category to work like i need it? lol

sure,

well lets assume you have in your users table details like username, password (which i hope is md5), email ect, it sounds like you also have one for level,

so when the user logs in im guessing you would be setting sessions?

so ill assume you have a session called level,

so first you will want to check if the user is above a certian level, (im assuming 5 is admin 1 is normal user)

in your categoires you should have a column called eg access, and have that of equal value to the lowest level you want to be able to access that,

so

if isset($_SESSION[level]) {
   $get_category = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM category WHERE access <= $_SESSION[level] GROUP BY id") or die(mysql_error());
}
else
{
   $get_category = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM category WHERE access = 1 GROUP BY id") or die(mysql_error());
}

try something like that

That seems good ill try that out but i have level as user_level which there are 6 but 0 is deactivated users :) and yes my password is MD5() hehe.. but let me work on that and add access and see what i come up with.. Thank you blueman

Well its someone of a success lol. i mean it hides the Promotion Review Board but wont show even for me.. here is what i got now as the if statement.

if ($_SESSION[user_level]) {
    $get_category = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM category WHERE access <= $_SESSION[user_level] GROUP BY id") or die(mysql_error());
} else {
    $get_category = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM category WHERE access = 0 GROUP BY id") or die(mysql_error());
}
		while($row = mysql_fetch_array($get_category)) {

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.