[SOLVED] Form Error,

burnside

Good morning Freaks,

I have a small script to check and delete a check box, or multiple check boxe's, But the problem is its doing nothing, its geting the data but then not deleteing it, the codes below :

$sql = "SELECT * FROM `post_box` WHERE `to_id`='{$id}' ORDER BY id DESC ";
		$result = mysql_query($sql);
		if (!$result) {
    			echo "Could not successfully run query ($sql) from DB: " . mysql_error();
    			exit;
		}

if (mysql_num_rows($result) == 0) {
    			echo "<h5>You have no messages messages at all to read</h5>. <p><br /><a href=?action=>Back</a></div>";
		exit;		
		} 
while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {  

echo " <form method=\"post\" action=\"\" /> <input name=\"checkbox[]\" type=\"checkbox\" id=\"checkbox[]\" value=\"{$row['id']}\" /> {$row['message']} <br /> 
} 
echo " <input name=\"delete\" type=\"submit\" id=\"delete\" value=\"Delete\" /> "; 
		if($delete){
		for($i=0;$i<$count;$i++){
		$del_id = $checkbox[$i];
		$sql = "DELETE FROM `post_box` WHERE id='$del_id'";
		$result = mysql_query($sql);
		}

// if successful redirect to delete_multiple.php 
		if($result){
		echo "<meta http-equiv=\"refresh\" content=\"0;URL=delete_multiple.php\">";
		} 
		}

When i lookin the source code its correct it shows the :

<input name="checkbox[]" type="checkbox" id="checkbox[]" value="3" /> Message 3 <br />

<input name="checkbox[]" type="checkbox" id="checkbox[]" value="2" /> Message 2 <br />

<input name="checkbox[]" type="checkbox" id="checkbox[]" value="1" /> Message 1 <br />

Just when i click a check box and hit delete nothing happens ??

Any ideas?

Well i see you fixed, so good stuff. However, i'd already typed this out so ill post anyway as there are a couple of points you might want to think about.

1.) Always debug your queries with mysql_error if you're having troubles.

2.) You dont need to execute a separate query to delete each item. implode the ids and use the IN clause:

$del_ids = implode(',',$_POST['checkbox']);
mysql_query("DELETE FROM `post_box` WHERE id IN ($del_ids)") or die(mysql_error());

3.) Do you ever extract the variables from the $_POST array? Or are you relying on register_globals?

4.) Looks like the error is one of script logic. You output the checkboxes, then delete those which were previously selected. End result: the checkboxes are deleted, but you dont notice till you refresh the page.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.