[SOLVED] ORDER BY formula

abdfahim

well, if i use ORDER BY key1,key2, then it will order the result first by key1, then by key2. But i want to order it by the result of key1 multiply key2. So, i was asking is there any other way other than including another column which will store key1 multiply key2 and then order by that column?

guys guys ... i think we are going away from the objective [:)] ........... my question was, like I have a table

Person   columnA   columnB

A             10          55
B              8           61
C             15          35

Now I want to arrange the table with the Person with highest (columnA multiply columnB) at the top, and so ... Is it possible without adding another column?

Okay, sorry... back to the topic:

Here is what you (probably) need:

SELECT `theFieldINeed`, `fieldOne`*`fieldTwo` as orderby FROM `table` ORDER BY orderby

Explanation: theFieldINeed is the result what I want.

With 'fieldOne'*'fieldTwo' i combine (multiple) the two fields I want to order by and defin them as orderby (you can call it whatever you want)

From 'table' is clear and you order by oderby (in my case or the word you choose)

Give it a try

so if I put 'ORDER BY 135', what would happen?

Well you can order by 135... but the result will be the same than like without  :P

Actually, it will order by the 135th column in the select list; 135 wasn't quoted in your example.

Is it possible in SQL to run query ORDER BY formula, for example .......... ORDER BY (ColumnA * ColumnB) ?

Did you actually try this?  It will work.

thankx vamosbenedikt ... i got it ...

thanx ... fenway .. the thing is I tried that but it didn't work b4 ... but after getting ur post, I again tried and it works !!!! I must have done something else wrong.

Sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate ur help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.