session_start() Error

JustinK101

I am trying to put session_start() in a global include file, so basically all my pages call a file called _requires.php simply via:

require_once("_requires.php");

The very first line in _requires.php is:

session_start();

It is very odd though, I getting the following error:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at _requires.php:1) in_requires.php on line 2

Any ideas why? I am not outputting anything simply calling the require_once function and that require page calls session_start().

login.php which is the first file is like:

<?php
    require_once("_requires.php");
?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>

_requires.php is like:

<?php
	session_start();

require_once("classes/Timer.php");
require_once("classes/DatabaseConfiguration.php");
require_once("classes/Error.php");

?>

Delete that first blank line above the opening php tag in requires.php. That blank line sends a space to the browser, which is considered to be output to the browser. You can't call session_start after output has been sent to the browser.

Delete that first blank line above the opening php tag in requires.php. That blank line sends a space to the browser, which is considered to be output to the browser. You can't call session_start after output has been sent to the browser.

Same error:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at _requires.php:1) in _requires.php on line 1

Then you didn't do it right. It told you right in the error that the output was started in line 1 of requires.php. Line 1 was the blank line. If you deleted it, then line 1 would be the php opening tag, which would mean that no output would be being sent. Check and make sure you both saved the file, and properly uploaded it to the server (if necessary).

Yes, @session_start is a bad idea. The @ sign just suppresses errors, it doesn't fix them. So the error is still there, and your sessions wont work. You should pretty much never use the @ sign.

This is how my _requires.php file is exactly:

<?php session_start();

require_once("classes/Timer.php");
        require_once("classes/DatabaseConfiguration.php");
require_once("classes/Error.php");

?>

Nothing crazy there, still getting the error.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.