Okay; about login scripts.

pojr

Okay, I own http://www.dan92.yfma.com/ (supposed to be Chankys.com, but someone stole my domain name the day I tried to register; it was apparently a friend from another site). Everything on there so far is going pretty good, but now, I am in a pickle. I don't know how to login to accounts, and if I ever were to, I wouldn't know how to stay logged in. Could someone give me a hand?

you know altho i hate IE i use it anyways on this computer. it is the number one used browser over firefox. you really should make your site look good in IE and Firefox because it is said that over 52% is IE and 39% is firefox and rest is other (info from http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp ) and im sure its not hard to do afew changes.

ok well obviously you have the ability to register,

but people cant login after this?

so whaty you will need to do is have a form which the user enters thier username and password, this form is then sent to a page which queries the database to check if a row is there that has a username and password equal to what they have entered, if this is true then log them in otherwise tell them bad password/username

if it is true you will then want to set sessions with the details of the user, eg username, id, and any other information, you will also want to set a session called logged_in or something similar so you can check if a user is logged in,

you then use these variables all over the site, to check if the user is logged in use a if statement, if($_SESSION[logged_in] == 1)

{

logged in info

}

else

{

not logged in info

}

be sure to on every page that a user wil have access to add session_start(); at the VERY top

hope this helps,

Matt

I just gave a login script a shot. It failed. Why did it? Here's the script:

mysql_connect("localhost", "dan92_happy", "XXXXXXXXXXXX") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_select_db("dan92_admin") or die(mysql_error());

$name = $_POST['username'];
$pass = $_POST['password'];

$namepass = "$name $password";

$results = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM user WHERE nm='$name' ORDER BY id") 
or die(mysql_error());

$id = $_POST['id'];

while($row = mysql_fetch_array( $results )) {

echo "Attempting to log onto ";
echo $row['nm'];
echo "...";
$nm = $row['nm'];
$pw = $row['pwl'];
}

$nmpw = "$nm $pw";

if ( $namepass == $nmpw ) {

echo "<h1>Success!</h1> <p>You have logged into your account. Now you can post on the forums.</p>";

$usr = intval($_COOKIE['usr']);

setcookie('usr', $usr = $nm, strtotime('+30 days'));

} else {

echo "<h1>Failure!</h1> <p>You were unsuccessful in logging in. Please try again.</p>";

}
?>

You can try making an account, and logging in to http://www.dan92.yfma.com/forums/ (The form is way down at the bottom), but even with the correct password and user name input, the login always results failure.  'login.php' uses the code I had just place on this message.

well that doesnt really make sense,

try something like

<?php
mysql_connect("localhost", "dan92_happy", "XXXXXXXXXXXX") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_select_db("dan92_admin") or die(mysql_error());

$name = $_POST['username'];
$pass = $_POST['password'];

$results = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM user WHERE nm='$name' AND pass='$pass'") 
or die(mysql_error());

$num_rows = mysql_num_rows($results;
if($num_rows == 1)
{
echo "<h1>Success!</h1> <p>You have logged into your account. Now you can post on the forums.</p>";

while($user = mysql_fetch_array($results))
{
$_SESSION[username] = $user[nm];
$_SESSION[id] = $user[id];
$_SESSION[level] = $user[level];
$_SESSION[logged_in] = 1;
}
}
else
{
echo "Bad Username/Password Combination";
}
?>

and at the start of all pages have Session_Start();

and then heres a example to show guest if the user is not logged in or show a username if they are logged in, and lets say your levels are 1 = normal user 2 = admin

<?php
Session_Start();
echo "Welcome";
if($_SESSION[logged_in] == 1)
{
echo "$_SESSION[username]
<a href=\"profile.php?id=$_SESSION[id]\">My Profile</a> || <a href=\"logout.php">Logout</a>";
if($_SESSION[level] == 2)
{
echo "<br><a href=\"admin/index.php\">Admin Center</a>";
}
}
else
{
echo "Guest";
}

?>

i took out the cookies as untill you have a basic login system dont bother messing with cookies, 

ive assumed alot of your column names but im guessing it should be relativily correct.

so yeah try that tell me if it works or not, you can add cookies in later once you have it working basically

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.