[SOLVED] PHP MYSQL Array Update Using Where

iwpg

This has got me stumped. I am trying to update a table where a record ID = to the post ID with values. No luck at all.

This is what I have so far:

$commissions = preg_split('/\r\n|\n/', $_POST['commission'], -1, PREG_SPLIT_NO_EMPTY);
$id = preg_split('/\r\n|\n/', $_POST['id'], -1, PREG_SPLIT_NO_EMPTY);
//Iterate through array
foreach ($data as $val) {
	mysql_query("insert into $table (commissions) values ('$commissions') WHERE id ='$id'");
}

My form looks like:

<input type="text" name="id" id="id[]" size="7" value="3">

<input type="text" name="commission" id="commission[]" size="15" value="100.00">

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

This and this page explain how to use arrays with forms in php.

Alternatively you can parse the post data yourself, which I did before I realized that php can do it for me :P  But if you do like you are doing, you will only get the LAST item in $_POST, not all of them.  To get all of them you must name your input as "id[]" and "commission[]"

Thanks for your help. I looked everywhere for update query examples on arrays in MYSQL, but didn't have any luck. Do I need to loop the $id variable through the array like the $commissions variable? I'm just kindof stuck with this part.  ???

Hmm, well in that situation you have two arrays, and you need to loop through both at one time.  That's a little more complex than a single array.

$commission_arr = $_POST['commission'];
$id_arr = $_POST['id'];
if (!is_array($commission_arr) || !is_array($id_arr)) {
  die("Either commission or id wasn't an array!");
}
foreach ($id_arr as $key => $id) {
  $commission = $commission_arr[$key];
  $sql = "insert into $table (commissions) values ('$commission') WHERE id ='$id'";
  mysql_query($sql) or die("Error in $sql: " . mysql_error());
}

Here I'm assuming that the indexes for the id and commission arrays will match up, which they should in your case.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.