[SOLVED] formatting Date

rondog

I am pulling a date from a mssql table with data type of 'smalldatetime'

it looks like this in the database: 6/10/2008, but when I run a fetch array on it and echo it out, it looks like Jun 10 2008. I applied no formatting whatsoever to it. It just comes out looking like that. Any idea why?

I am wanting to achieve something that looks like Tuesday, June 10th, 2008 but have had no luck yet.

Thanks for any help.

Make the column datetime and then select the row with DATE_FORMAT().

Will making the column datetime mess with any of the current data in the table? Their is something like 9,000 entries in there at the moment.

Make the column datetime and then select the row with DATE_FORMAT().

Will making the column datetime mess with any of the current data in the table? Their is something like 9,000 entries in there at the moment.

I strongly doubt it, but make a test table with a smalldatetime, put some entries in and try converting it. =P

I was about to reply and say PHP was returning an undefined function for date_format..I didnt realized it was a MySQL function. Does the same go for MSSQL because thats what I am using? Any idea on how to write it? This is my current query:

<?php
include 'mssqlconnect.php';

$date = date("m/d/Y");
$query = mssql_query("SELECT event_date FROM DE_Events WHERE displayOnSite = 'true' AND event_date >= '$date' ORDER BY event_date");

?>

Trust me I would if I could! Unfortunatly I was dragged into the middle of this project :[

They have a events.cfm page that is using the same table formatting it the way I need to to be so maybe I'll just try and get that file from the client. Thanks anyway!

Well I got it fairly quick..Here it is in Cold Fusion:

<p>
					#DateFormat(event_date, "dddd, mmmm dd, yyyy")#<br />
					<cfif isDefined("start_hour") and start_hour gt 0>
						#start_hour#:#start_minute_text# #start_ampm# 
					</cfif>
					<cfif isDefined("end_hour") and end_hour gt 0>
						— #end_hour#:#end_minute_text# #end_ampm#
					</cfif>
				</p>

I dont know cold fusion so I am kind of lost..

I am trying this right now but its not working

<?php
$query = mssql_query("SELECT DateFormat(event_date, 'dddd, mmmm dd, yyyy') FROM DE_Events WHERE displayOnSite = 'true' AND event_date >= '$date' ORDER BY event_date");
?>

i dont know much bout mssql since am using mysql... so how bout trying to format the date from PHP instead?

<?php
   $date = '6/10/2008'; // you may use the data from the database here instead

$formatted_date = date('l, F jS, Y', strtotime($date)); // date format for "Tuesday, June 10th, 2008"

echo $formatted_date; // output Tuesday, June 10th, 2008
?>

cheers,

Jay

i dont know much bout mssql since am using mysql... so how bout trying to format the date from PHP instead?

<?php
   $date = '6/10/2008'; // you may use the data from the database here instead

$formatted_date = date('l, F jS, Y', strtotime($date)); // date format for "Tuesday, June 10th, 2008"

echo $formatted_date; // output Tuesday, June 10th, 2008
?>

cheers,

Jay

Hey that worked Jay. Very nice  ;D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.