[SOLVED] wampserver php help

Hi,

I have been reading about mysql & php a lot & I finally have my database built in excel.  I need to be able to test out some of the php script I am writing. I am trying to install wampserver 2.0 & can't seem to get the welcome page when I go to http://localhost in my browser (firefox).  I had previously installed WAMP5 & I deleted it before I installed wampserver 2.0.  When I ran into trouble I saw a suggestion to uninstall in the control panel so I did that.  Oddly there was still a C:\wamp folder with some stuff in it so I deleted it.  Now I have now reinstalled wampserver 2.0 & still can't get to the welcome page.

What am I doing wrong?  Should I be using a different version of wamp?  Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Kate ???

From what I read the way to start it is just to go to the little speedometer icon and select "Start all services".  Is that right??

I am pretty sure I have the right version because I am running Windows XP and installed Wampserver 2.0.

I also saw somewhere that I would need to go into the c:\wamp folder find the exe file & click on it but that was for Wamp5.  My wamp folder does not contain a wamp.exe file.  I just figured it was in another location in the 2.0 version.

Good thought though.  I wish it was as simple as just flipping the switch.

Any other ideas???

Kate

I just uninstalled, deleted, and did a vodoo dance to drive all wamp spirits from my computer.

Then I redownloaded the wampserver, Restarted the computer & reinstalled wampserver.  I am still not getting the welcome page.

I did notice while searching for wamp files that there are wamp related files in dreamweaver.  Could they be conflicting??

Such a basic thing.  One would think I would get hung up on the more complicated stuff . . .  ???

K-

I figured it out. ;D

For future reference Skype conflicts with wampserver because it uses port 80 which Apache needs.

I have only a vague idea of what this means but I had to uninstall Skype (which I don't really use anyway) & restart.

Wha-lah  the welcome page appeared.

Thanks for the help

Kate

Not sure how to put a solved check mark on this?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.