PHP Live Clock

prudens

I wanted the same for my site.  It will not happen.  The clock will only refresh when the page is refreshed in php.  I used liveclock.js found on google.  If a user has java turned off then it won't show so I put it in a place where it won't matter and did not put any further text around it.  You don't want to have "The current time is:                  " showing on your site.  Check out how I implemented it at http://www.jackiebrownmedical.ie

Ian.

I'll ask the obvious question - why do you want to do this?

Most of the people on the planet sit in front of a computer that has the current time displayed somewhere on their monitor. They don't need a web site to be displaying the same information (and web servers are often in a different time zone than the visitor so unless you adjust the time to the visitor or use the javascript suggestions, the time displayed is wrong anyway.)

I'll ask the obvious question - why do you want to do this?

I thought the same.  My site had a live clock on it but it was in an input on the page so I couldn't get the page to validate without adding in a whole form to go with it.  So when I redid the site using css instead of tables I left the clock out.  All of a sudden I started getting mails from people who used the site for the clock.  6 of them had bookmarked the page so that they could call it up for the time and date.  Others just liked it and thought I should put it back.  So it's back... but not in an input this time.

My site is a very local site (Ireland) and visitors from outside the country are not much good to our business so I don't much care about the time coming up wrong in other time zones (if it is). 

My view now is that it is completely unneccessary to have a clock on your site but it is harmless and I personally quite like it. It adds a bit of movement to an otherwise static page without having to put in flash etc.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.