Problems configuring MySQL via the command line

brian914

So I am trying to follow this tutorial on Lynda.com and at some point I must have taken a wrong turn. I have everything installed on my machine and was in the process of configuring my MySQL via the Terminal. Somehow it can't find the mySQL and I am too new to the topic to even trouble shoot this situation. I am hoping that if I explain what I did, it will be clear to someone more knowledgeable where I went wrong and how to fix it.

Here is what I have on my computer now:

OS X 10.4.11 Intel

Server version: Apache/1.3.41 (Darwin)

PHP 5.2.4

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.51b, for apple-darwin8.11.1 (i686) using readline 5.0

I was told to type the following:

My-Computer-1:~ brian$ echo 'export PATH=$PATH:/user/local/mysql/bin' >> ~/.bash_profile

Then the following:

My-Computer-1:~ brian$ cat .bash_profile

Which gives me this, which I know is wrong, as I should just get that line once:

export PATH=$PATH:/user/local/mysql/bin/

export PATH=$PATH:/user/local/mysql/bin

My-Computer-1:~ brian$

Then when I type this:

My-Computer-1:~ brian$ which mysql

no mysql in /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /user/local/mysql/bin/ /user/local/mysql/bin /user/local/mysql/bin /user/local/mysql/bin

So it can't find the mySQL, right? When I installed it, I just followed the default settings, as far as I know.

How do I fix this.

Thanks a lot for help with this!

I quick the terminal, does that qualify as logging out?

I did that and got this:

/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/user/local/mysql/bin/:/user/local/mysql/bin:/user/local/mysql/bin:/user/local/mysql/bin

Thank you so much for the help!

Firstly, your ~/.bash_profile file is foo bar'd. You need to (or should at least) remove all of the export PATH=$PATH:/user/local/mysql/bin lines and replace them with one...

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin

Notice its /usr not /user also note there is no trailing forward slash.

What does foo bar'd mean?

Hehe, sorry. Thats my way of saying broken.

How do I remove them? I don't know the command line at all...

You can simply open your ~/.bash_profile file in a text editor and edit the file accordingly. Or, this will fix it in one go from the command line.

sed -i -e '/mysql/d' ~/.bash_profile ; echo 'export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin' >> ~/.bash_profile

I did this, so it seems nothing has changed.

My-Computer-1:~ brian$ sed -i -e '/mysql/d' ~/.bash_profile ; echo 'export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin' >> ~/.bash_profile

no mysql in /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /user/local/mysql/bin/ /user/local/mysql/bin /user/local/mysql/bin /user/local/mysql/bin

You need to logout and back in for your new .bash_profile to take effect. Either that or you need to source the file. eg;

source ~/.bash_profile

Id'e recommend loging out and back in though, as there may be other environemt variables set somewhere else.

I just did this:

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql

So that means it is doing what I have been trying to make it do, right?

So excited.

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.